News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hindenburgstern

Hi Gordon, there's actually some very nicely donerepops. I've seen one done on an actual silver-gilt breast star. Very tasty!

Rick,

This one has an actual original WW1 screwback EK1 as the centrepiece. The Star background is of course a copy, but genuine gold plated. Looks nice anyway, and I don't mind having a nice copy for items where you know that there is no way, not ever, never, that you'll ever get the real thing.

Just wish I could find a decent replica Imperial Grand Cross, but all I ever see are those crappy one piece castings.

Here it is disassembled. The fittings on the iron cross are custom made for this star, it is not a regular screwback. Notice the age old patina on the back of the iron cross. This is only the second time I have had it apart since I got it at one of the Baltimore Max Shows many moons ago.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

A silly question.... was the Starburst a specially created one, or was it one that was already in use...

by that I mean, did the maker say "Schmidt, go create a brand new starburst and put an EK on it..." or did he say "Schmidt, go take one of those starbursts we are using for the Argentinian cattle raisers honour star and stick an EK1 on it....."

Did they start from scratch... or did they alreay have the parts to throw together....

Chris,

It is my understanding that the originals (Hindenburg had two) used the same star as on the RAO breast star. To my understanding, one was given by Hindenburg to an adjutant and later sold by his family at auction and in a collection somewhere behind the Iron Curtain (at the time of the sale). The other I believe was destroyed in WW2. At least one of them was made by Godet and had side hooks. Mine is very nice quality and may not be made in 1918 , but I believe it to be made before the TR period. It is almost identical to the Sedlatzek version shown in the Iron Time, only excepting the markings and a different backing for the EK. Argentinian Cattle raisers indeed! :P Here are a couple more pics of mine showing the Meybauer markings and a stamped K on the back side of the pin opposite the maker mark.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest WAR LORD

Just as an aside I have a couple of stars, one 1914 and the other as shown here. Please enjoy.

Edited by WAR LORD