News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ehrenkreuz der Bundeswehr für Tapferkeit Group

Here is a nice representative grouping for Oberstabsgrefeiter Maik Mutschke. He is one of 29 people who've received this award so far. His citation for the award reads:

Am 2. April 2010 wurde seine Patrouille in Isa Khel (Raum Kunduz) von Aufständischen angegriffen, eingeschlossen und der Spähtruppführer verwundet. In dem folgenden, schweren Gefecht legte er alleine unter ständigem Feindfeuer 300 Meter durch die Ortschaft zurück und stellte somit Verbindung zu den eigenen Truppen her, die nun zu dem Spähtrupp vorstoßen konnten.

Thank you for my friend Matthias, who helped me gather this together. Mr. Mutschke is the man on the far right of this photo.  I think that I want to start assembling/collecting these groups as they are greatly contributing to the war of terror.    

Munschke.jpg

Berlin_Air_Show_2012_Afghanistan_veterans.jpg

Edited by Paul R

Paul R,

A very nice addition to a BW collection.  Would really like to have something like this myself.  The chap in the centre really has some interesting badges on his uniform.  Can you tell from the photo what foreign para wings he is wearing under his BW wings?  Also, what is the small pin he is wearing on his right lapel?

The man to his right has a small black badge on his right breast pocket.  Is it possible to identify it for us from the photo?

Regards

Gordon

Paul,

Thanks for the response.  I expanded it and printed it out and under a magnifying glass I can make out the pin on the lapel.  The other two badges are more visible this way and with some research I might be able to identify them as well.

Regards,

Gordon

• 2 months later...

From what I see the black badge is what Paul said, a CFMB strange that they're subdued and maybe those are French jump wings?

The middle guy has US novice halo wings, a C.I.B., expert rifle badge with a few bars (3 at least). I would bet my paycheck that he had a lot of dealings with US special operations.

Very cool photo, If I saw that uniform alone I would have thought it was some made up with random badges put on.

EDIT: Oh yeah,the middle guy is also wearing Army issued Oakley sunglasses:)

Eric

Edited by Eric K.

Paul R,

A very nice addition to a BW collection.  Would really like to have something like this myself.  The chap in the centre really has some interesting badges on his uniform.  Can you tell from the photo what foreign para wings he is wearing under his BW wings?  Also, what is the small pin he is wearing on his right lapel?

The man to his right has a small black badge on his right breast pocket.  Is it possible to identify it for us from the photo?

Regards

Gordon

Hi,

The chap in the centre should not be waring the Bavarian Sports Badge (Gold). Also not the Blood Donation Ribbon (red with gold cross) Nor should he be waring the Military Proficiency Badge as a Ribbon. His German Sports Badge Ribbon (DSA) should be followed by His Life Savers Badge Ribbon (DLRG). The U.S. Ribbon is also out of place. I think the Combat Infantry Badge is also a no go. Plus, plus. Just not allowed on German forces uniforms. 

Is this chap genuine? If so he should read the regulations. If not, what a lack of respect for the real heroes there.

If this was in theatre I could see the subdued CFMB. Those 2  on the right and left of the US Lt. look like they got some war wounds awhile ago,Does Germany still have a wound badge? 

If he is a faker he's got some balls,but I think he's legit, I have seen the marksmanship badges with 5 or 6 clasps on Bundeswehr soldiers,I even saw a cloth sew on expert badge with a rifle clasp.pretty cool. 

The US is easy: only ONE foreign award is allowed to be worn at a time.

If this was in theatre I could see the subdued CFMB. Those 2  on the right and left of the US Lt. look like they got some war wounds awhile ago,Does Germany still have a wound badge? 

If he is a faker he's got some balls,but I think he's legit, I have seen the marksmanship badges with 5 or 6 clasps on Bundeswehr soldiers,I even saw a cloth sew on expert badge with a rifle clasp.pretty cool. 

The US is easy: only ONE foreign award is allowed to be worn at a time.

Hi Eric, 

The U.S. Reg's make sense . This chap is waring three U.S. awards. His Nato Ribbon is the wrong size for German Ribbon-bars. A 'personal' pin and a scruffy tie make me a little scepticle??? Who is he?

Having said that total respect to Herr Mutschke. And it's great to see modern German medal groups - thanks Paul R. for the post.

By the way, There is no Wound Badge, as it were, The second medal in Herr Mutschke's group is for Gefecht - Combat which also includes 'wounded in action'.

Edited by ÖSTA

Hallo all,

A few more details. Award date: 29. November 2010.

Ralf Rönckendorf38HptFw3. / Fallschirmjägerbataillon 373Am 2. April 2010 kämpfte er sich in dem schweren Gefecht in Isa Khel (Raum Kunduz) als Sanitäter mit der Waffe in der Hand zu einem verwundeten und von Aufständischen bedrohten Kameraden vor und versorgte diesen notfallmedizinisch. Schließlich wurde er bei der Detonation einer Sprengfalle schwer verletzt und verlor sein Augenlicht.
    11Maik Mutschke24/25[9]StGefr3. / Fallschirmjägerbataillon 373Am 2. April 2010 wurde seine Patrouille in Isa Khel (Raum Kunduz) von Aufständischen angegriffen, eingeschlossen und der Spähtruppführer verwundet. In dem folgenden, schweren Gefecht legte er alleine unter ständigem Feindfeuer 300 Meter durch die Ortschaft zurück und stellte somit Verbindung zu den eigenen Truppen her, die nun zu dem Spähtrupp vorstoßen konnten.

I am pretty sure the guy in the middle is "real". Of course he is wearing his awards not according to ZDV 37/10 (german field manual), but I, personally, do not care as long as he was awarded all of this stuff. I know or see many german soldiers who do not wear their awards at all which is a "no go" in my opinion. Its a question of honor; if someone honors you with an award, you should honor him too by wearing it!

Hi Jens,

"... many german soldiers who do not wear their awards at all which is a "no go" in my opinion..."

I was one of those soldiers.

"... he is wearing his awards not according to ZDV 37/10 (german field manual), but I, personally, do not care as long as he was awarded all of this stuff."

And everybody can add, what he want to add? And you (and others) disobey the German regulations, because you prefer an own personal view? And if you disobey these official rules, you can commit other refusals of command? That is valid for you and your subordinated soldiers?

I'm wondering, really.

Uwe

It's hard to tell where this photo is taken, and I think that has a lot to do with what everyone is wearing, It's possible that some of the awards were  awarded that very day. We all have had bits and bobs hanging of us that are very much out of regulations,but you walk around shake hands etc.. then you take the stuff off and get back to work. 

Our Marine attachments couldn't wear any of our Army "stuff" yet we awarded them CIB's,CFMB's etc.. they would always sew these under their pocket flaps on their shoulders and flip them up once in awhile to amaze other Marines.

Uwe, I agree whole heartedly

Paul has been quite, maybe He can fill us in.

Hi Jens,

"... many german soldiers who do not wear their awards at all which is a "no go" in my opinion..."

I was one of those soldiers.

"... he is wearing his awards not according to ZDV 37/10 (german field manual), but I, personally, do not care as long as he was awarded all of this stuff."

And everybody can add, what he want to add? And you (and others) disobey the German regulations, because you prefer an own personal view? And if you disobey these official rules, you can commit other refusals of command? That is valid for you and your subordinated soldiers?

I'm wondering, really.

Uwe

I am pretty sure our army has other problems than anyone wearing a piece of ribbon or metal the wrong way...

I agree the BW has problems one of them being that there are people who think it's O.K. to adopt a 'Hey Man! do your own thing' attitude. Maybe that's alright in California! - Peace Man!

JensF, Du Alte Schlampe Du!!!!

Seriously though, how did you get your photo's on the other thread to fit the 2Gb? I want to post a couple of pictures but no luck! 

For the Moderators, this is relevant to both threads.