News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi, 

I´m thinking about buying these medals in boxes , but I don´t know anything about them except that they are from Anhalt and Sachsen Altenburg

Have anyone any info about them , are they buyable ;)

Best regards 

Christer

anhalt1.jpg

anhalt2.jpg

anhalt3.jpg

sachsen1.jpg

sachsen3.jpg

sachsen2.jpg

Thanks ,

The funny thing is that I didn´t really know anything about them and thought maybe I was bidding to much :)

German Imperial medals and stuff is not very popular in Sweden, I´m one of the few that collect 1872-1918 , the later period in contrast 1933-1945 has stupid prices and collectors buy 

all kind of fakes and worthless crap .....

Know I have to learn more about the Sachsen Altenburg/Meinigen/Coburg  Merit medals .....

I found ou that there is quite a lot online :cheers:  http://www.archive-in-thueringen.de/finding_aids/index.php?path=0;27866;41329

So I can at least get approx numbers awarded.

Anhalt is more of a mystery , don´t think there is anything online from that state is there?

All the best from Sweden , celebrating Labour Day today 

Christer

Edited by christerd

Hello Christer, a bargain.

They are listed on a german catalogue from 2010 with: 

Anhalt silberne Verdienstmedaille OEK number 23                  140 €

Altenburg silberne Verdienstmedaille OEK number 2508         220 €

only the medals

Regards

Andreas  

Today they arrived and I was very impressed by the condition of the boxes first !

They look almost perfect :) First the Anhalt box then the Sachsen Altenburg with its makers label :cheers:

But the BIG suprise was when I cleaned them..... The Anhalt is the Goldene Verdienstmedallie !  ( Bronze vergoldet) and the Sachsen is also the Goldene Verdienstmedallie (Silver vergoldet)

Wow , it really made my weekend , here are tthey together with a Swedish Silver medal I also got today ...

:love:  Christer

P1030144.JPG

P1030150.JPG

P1030153.JPG

Edited by christerd

Today they arrived and I was very impressed by the condition of the boxes first !

They look almost perfect :) First the Anhalt box then the Sachsen Altenburg with its makers label :cheers:

But the BIG suprise was when I cleaned them..... The Anhalt is the Goldene Verdienstmedallie !  ( Bronze vergoldet) and the Sachsen is also the Goldene Verdienstmedallie (Silver vergoldet)

Wow , it really made my weekend , here are tthey together with a Swedish Silver medal I also got today ...

:love:  Christer

P1030144.JPG

P1030150.JPG

P1030153.JPG

:cheers:

After a little bit of research online I counted the following numbers for Sachsen Altenburg Goldene Verdenstmedaliie 

1871-1891 351 awarded with dates and another 58 that could have been awarded during this period. So a total of max about 400 awarded.

1871-16         1875 - 16        1879 - 8         1883 - 7         1887 - 26

1872 - 18       1876 - 17        1880 - 15       1884 - 22       1888 - 1 

1873- 17        1877 - 19        1881 - 19       1885 - 27       1889 - 3

1874 - 12        1878 - 42       1882 - 20       1886 - 32       1890 - 2          1891 - 3        

seems that about 20 yearly was quite normal and going down the last years before the new version come in 1892.

Som new info !!

I found out that the medals was awarded to someone from Sweden and has been here since then.....

There was only 3 !  People from Sweden that got the Sachsen Altenburg Verdienstmedallie and all three had a close connection to both Sweden and Sachsen Alt

through this woman ;)  She is Prinzess Therese von Sachsen Altenburg , frau Herzogin von Dalkarlien (after her husband died in 1873)

She was married in 1864 to Prince August of Sweden and lived in Stockholm for many years to her death in 1914.

November 29th 1886 three Swedish got the Goldene Verdienstmedallie 

Hoflakei I Johnsson , Stallmeister L Johansson and Zweiter Kammardiener F Th Bjorklund 

I´m quuite sure my medals had belong to one of those three. The problem is that these names are really common in Sweden , but I will se if I can get some more info since they worked at the Royal Court.

Christer 

p0e88ee4b0.jpg

Edited by christerd