News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One of the most rare of the Luftwaffe badges, the glider pilot badge was instituted on December 16, 1940. It was awarded to pilots who successfully completed the glider training course.

Glider pilot badge, manufactured by the firm JUNCKER, without mark, in tombak.

Edited by Fran?ois SAEZ

• 2 weeks later...

I have never noticed any tombak coming through the worn areas on it though, so I'm not 100% sure whether it is very heavily nickel-silver plated or solid nickel-silver (neusilber).

Reverse....

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Tim Calvert

Jacques,

Very nice shot. I'll bet there are not many Glider pilots that won the RK!

Mikey K,

;-) Very well stated. Let's just say ... I wouldn't touch a nickle / tombak Juncker Glider unless it matched these die characteristics... speaking of which, I don't think I've ever seen one showing signs of brass (tombak). And to take it a step further, I wouldn't want a zinc one that didn't come from this die either!!!

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by Tim Calvert

Very nice badges, all...

Hi John,

Based on the images in this thread and your comment above, I can only assume that you believe that Juncker had two dies for their Glider Badge eagles?

Regards

Mike K

PS: I'd have PM'd but I don't seem to have that ability on this forum.

Hi Mike,

Having seen examples of both types ( #7 & 12) in both early metals and later zinc, I?ve always assumed that both types were acceptable. I base this on the ?Juncker? tendency to use multiple dies in the production of all other badges.

Putting aside, for a moment, the examples that both you and TC have posted, which must be considered as being the earlier of the two, what is your opinion of the other type (gut feelings allowed)? We have one example that comes from a group (of course, never a 100% guarantee of originality), the other (Rick?s), which looks like Francois', (hard to tell from the Picture) has a nice crisp wreath, good reverse set-up and what looks to be, the correct maker mark ( again, hard to see).

I can understand wanting to acquire the #12 type, as it?s the most desirable, but if there are doubts about the other type? I, for one, would love to know.

An interesting point ? The exact same badge that Rick has posted appears in the latest D.N price guide.

As you say? a sumptuous feast for thought. :food-smiley-004:

PS: Regarding the PM problem... I'll send you a PM as a test, it may well clear the gremlins. If not, I'll get Nick on to it.

Having asked a few questions and raised a few points, regarding the differences between the badges in this thread, I feel it would be conducive to the discussion to supply a link to a previous discussion on the subject.. so here it is.

I have to say.... it makes interesting reading and has certainly broadened my understanding of this rare badge.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...=juncker+glider

Thanks to Mike for pointing me in the right direction. wub.gif

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

I had a drop-dead gorgeous BSW Glider but I cannot seem to find the pix. Larry is quite right that the BSW wreaths are often cracked at the rivets like this. perhaps the press was a little to powerful when finishing the rivets. It seems to be primarily BSW ones that exhibit this little clue....