News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Forum purchase update

Last year I had the opportunity to obtain a single British War Medal http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/63733-belgian-agent-bwm-cream-of-the-crop/#comment-600873 from Chris, while I am waiting for a few more lines of enquiry, I have found him in an excellent book on WW1 agents published in the 1930's.

I do find it incredulous that he received no decorations from Belgium...any thoughts???

des2.jpg

des1.jpg

des3.jpg

desonay1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What a great acquisition.  How fortunate you are and I'm truly amazed at your collection.  Good luck and keep posting as it's always fascinating to read what you post.  Thank you very much. John

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chris, this is my translation;

1) Seeking to obtain the attribution of the "Croix de Guerre" with mention to the "Ordre de la Division" for:
              DESONAY Jean
    Of Belgium nationality.

Ardent Belgium patriot, who from the beginning of the hostilities in 1939, put himself to the service of the allied cause. In relationship with the French "Etat-Major" (senior staff members), he collected and sent forwards precious information.
    During the occupation, he continued his patriotic activities, informing the allied services, helping and protecting nationals of the allied nations and Belgium patriots.

2) name and first name: DESONAY Jean
    profession : Religious Jesuit
    Place and date of birth: born at Soumagne the 9th August 1886
    Address: 1) Manresd House Rochampton, S.W 15 London
                   2) Collège St Servois, rue St. Gillis, Liege

Already to his active the immense services provided for France and allies during 1914-1918, since he was one of the founders of the "DAME BLANCHE". Holder of the OBE ( Order of the British Empire), Military War Medal, Croix de Guerre Française 1914-1918.
    Right from September 1939, he spontaneously offered his services to the French and became one of the main members of the directory comity of the C.O.B. With his brother, the Major Henri DESONAY who commanded a company of guard on the German border, he organized networks of infiltration in Germany which brings him to reveal the exact whereabouts of the main German headquarters in the region of Enscircher. He gets mr MENTIOR to join the C.O.B., to whom he is the information technical adviser ( see MENTIOR form). He puts to the service of the French all his relationships and knowledge. Therefore he discovers the actions and methodologies of the German agents operating in Belgium territory, in particularly the Liege region, and works with other influential personalities connected with mr DEWE and mr SCHEURETTE, to improve military conditions ( security) at the Belgium - German border, rampart of Belgium and advanced bastion of France.
    Having been arrested and condemned in 1914 by the German authorities , Father DESONAY , on the advise of (allied) authorities had to withdraw in front of the invasion.
    He took refuge in the region of Toulouse and continued to work with the underground service " La Résistance" and enabled many young Belgium's to escape to Spain.
    During the time of the invasion of the southern zone, Father DESONAY escaped to England, via Spain with his brother the Major Henri DESONAY who was searched for by the Germans.
               An ardent promoter of the commune French and Belgium culture, rector at the Namur and Liege colleges, one of the main founders of the Godinne university institute in Belgium. Already decorated in 1914 with the French "Croix de Guerre" for rendered service to the French escapees 1914-1918, Father DESONAY deserves to be proposed (commended) for the French "Croix de Guerre" with quotation to the 9th Armée and recognized as "Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur"