News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR Enamel sign

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Gordon,

Thank you for the mail, I have looked at the items you directed me to and I take your point but I will say they are town boundary signage and as such are normally open and exposed to all the elements?  A building sign depending on which way it is facing may not be as exposed?  Again due to my lack of photographic skills it looks a bit new and shiny but I can assure you it is less so in the hand.  Please see attached pictures of some of the rust and pitting on the reverse and a few dings on the front.  It has been hung some where?  Do you have any pictures of the copies that you mention and is this one of the same type?

Cheers

CIMG9915.JPG

CIMG9916.JPG

CIMG9918.JPG

Jock,

Thanks for additional pictures.  There was a thread discussing fake signs on the DDR Form on the WAF a couple of years ago but I can not find it now.  I did find some comments on repro signs but the pictures were posted using a host and are no longer available.  One of the most commonly faked signs are those from the concrete DDR border markers.  I can not say anything about this sign pro or con except to say that repro signs are often, but not always, aged to make them look more authentic.  I would only buy an enamel sign where I was sure of the provenance such as the one the one I directed you to.  

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

There is a lot on WAF that you can't find anymore but that is for other reasons.  I don't get too hung up on stuff if it is cheap and cheerful, if it is a copy I think the lady would be doing herself out of business.  Provenance is important in the hobby but it is not always available and is often fabricated.  I am guessing you won't be buying much signage then?

Craig,

It was between €20-30 I am not sure which and a bit of fun at a local 'Old Timers Treff' where I did not expect to find anything much of interest except the vehicles (I got the Fire Insurance plaque from her that I posted in the non military section at the same time).  I am happy with it right or wrong!  It just kind of reminds me of the TR ones that I have.