News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Andy,

Could be a U-Boat tradition badge, but I couldn't find an exact match in the H?gel book. Here is a well-known photo of Werner Hartmann and some U-37 crew. Note that the trident does not have the same "bend" as yours.

Best Regards,

Erik

Hi

Could this be a U-Boot emblem?

I found it on a flea market.

Andy

• Replies 240
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a new U-985 tradition badge I just acquired. It came in a small grouping that included an unmarked Deumer zinc U-Boat badge and an officer's GM/SA "German Minesweeping Authority" insignia. Although there is no additional provenance, the grouping seems to be a plausible one.

The tradition badge is made from aluminum and has the initials "HW" scratched on the reverse. One could posit that these stand for Kapit?nleutnant Heinz Wolff (U-985's second and last CO), given that there is officer's GM/SA insignia included in the group. However, only a theory...

The badge also appears to be missing the tip of the spear going through the lion.

Here is the entry in Georg H?gel's book.

Edited by Erik Krogh

Here's an interesting tradition badge: the Mercedes 3-point star. It is very small (approximately 13 MM) and came in a lot from Detlev Niemann that also included a very finely board-made U-boat in brass (very heavy, for use on a plaque), some photos of U-Boat crews with Albrecht Brandi as CO, and a small folded paper "paper hat" with U-107's "4 aces" logo.

I just came across a photo of what is apparently the same small Mercedes insignia being worn by an officer on U-195. U-195 was one of only two Type IX D-1 boats (the other being U-180). If I remember correctly, both of these boats utilized experimental Mercedes diesel engines, hence the Mercedes star as a tradition badge.

Here is a sampling of the group, with the Mercedes badge on top.

Edited by Erik Krogh

Here is a photo of the Mercedes emblem in wear on U-195. This photo was found on page 68 of the book "7th U-Boat Flotilla - D?nitz's Atlantic Wolves" by Angus Konstam & Jak Mallmann Showell.

Edited by Erik Krogh

U-331 (KL von Tiesenhausen) board-made badge mounted on a plaque. U-331 was attached to the 23rd U-Flotilla from October 1941 through April 1942. There are examples of this type of submarine badge being worn by members of the 23rd Flotilla, so it appears to me that this little boat started out as a cap badge and then was later mounted on the plaque.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...