News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Roll of Honour H Division Metropolitan Police

It appears that 3 Officers died on duty in H Division in 1900

PC Frederick James Kidd (Died 26 December 1900, aged 23) Drowned in Shadwell dock apparently having accidentally fallen in while on night duty.

PC Ernest Thompson (Died 1 December 1900, aged 32) Fatally stabbed in the neck by a man he had moved on at a street disturbance at Whitechapel.

PC George Cooke (Died 26 June 1900, aged 47) Died from a ruptured blood vessel resulting from his shouting to wake a sleeping carman near Spitalfields Market.

The roll of honour began in 1900 and interestingly this appears to be on the only year H Division suffered any fatalities, two of which happened in the same month. Does anyone know of any other fatalities prior to 1900 that H Division sustained?

Has anyone ever researched these Officers?

Does anyone have any copies of newspaper reports that they could share with me? Do they contain any details about other Officers involved in the incidents?

Edited by bigjarofwasps

BJofW   -  are you referring to the Roll of Honour created a few years back by the stage star  ?   If so, then that is very accurate having had access to all records back to 1829.  There is a memorial in London with all of the names and date listed.  I think it numbers around 200  (?) so quite moderate compared with some countries.     Mervyn

• 1 month later...

BJofW,

Please bear with me as I am new to Met.Police collecting but I think that you may find that PC Thompson  has a (Tenuous) link with the Jack the Ripper I have the following from a book on the murders. I do not own the book (and alas do not recall the title) and this is from rough notes I made from it. On the 13th February 1891, Pc 240"H" Ernest Thompson was on his first lone night patrol when he disturbed the Murderer of Frances Cole ( who some believe was a Ripper victim) in Swallow Gardens, although he heard the receding footsteps of the assailant he saw Frances's  eyelid move and so in accordance with force orders he stayed with the victim who he deemed alive. A decision he was to regret for the rest of his short life. He was stabbed to death by a Barnett Abrahams having moved him on once after a disturbance at a Cabmans refreshment stall. I am sure this information can be verified

Regards

Peter

I'm afraid the details for Kidd don't stack up with the Jack the Ripper era:

PC Frederick James Kidd  (Warrant No 84248) - served 18/07/1898 to 26/12/1900

PC Ernest Thompson (Warrant No 76476) - served 29/12/1890 to 01/12/1900)

I can confirm he joined as 240H and was still 240H when he died

PC George Cooke (Warrant No 61156) - served 02/05/1877 to 26/06/1900)

There are service sheets for the first two above but not for PC Cooke (he joined too early).  However the Attestation Registers do show he joined H Div at the very start of his Police Career - so probably in H Div for his whole service.

What other information were you looking for?

Edited by Odin Mk 3
    Additional info added