News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Medal ID

Dolf

Gentlemen,

Can anyone please help to identify this Medal?

I know it's French, I know it's from WWI 1914-1918, and that's it. But that is obvious of course ;)

What I'd like to know is it's right name and the average price.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Dolf

Obverse, and obverse closeup:

Christophe,

Merci!

I don't think it's a miniature; I don't have it with me for measuring it correctly but I saw it this morning and it's the normal size of a normal Medal.

5-7 Euros!!! :o The guy was asking 45 Euros for it!!!... :speechless: Glad I didn't buy it! :blush:

Thanks again.

Cheers :beer:

Dolf

Dolf,

De rien!!

10 euros is really the maximum for this medal, and the one you posted is not a really nice one... You can find (in Paris) really nice ones for 7-10 euros.

Cheers.

Ch.

PS : Maybe an optical effect, but I still think yours has not the "normal" size. ;)

Dolf,

PS : Maybe an optical effect, but I still think yours has not the "normal" size. ;)

Christophe,

I missed your PS before I guess :blush:

Anyway, any idea of the size of a "normal" one and of a miniature? Next time I'll see the guy I could try to measure this one just to confirm that.

Thanks again,

Dolf

EUR10 ? At a militaria shop?

I have seen them for those prices at Brocants, but what would a realistic dealer price be? They seem to range between EUR25 - 35 ?

Chris,

Apparently, according to g_deploige these sell for 2,50 - 15 Euros on eBay.

As for Christophe I don't know where they can sell in Paris for the price he mentions, 5 - 10 Euros. Let's wait for his reply.

Anyway this one here (Lisbon) wasn't for sale in a Militaria Shop or from a Medal's dealer, this guy sells a bit of everything (postcards, old books, old collectible cards, a few Medals from time to time) in a local weekly Collector's kind of fair. Well, at least 95%+ of the fair is mainly for coins and bank notes collectors in fact, so call it Collector's fair is a big name for what it really is, but that's how they call it :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Dolf

Chris,

Apparently, according to g_deploige these sell for 2,50 - 15 Euros on eBay.

Dolf

Some start at 2.50, some finish at 15.

I offered 10 TOE's for EUR125 and noone took them.

Have found EK2s for EUR5 - 10 on a lucky day.

The problem with these is there are more of them than the market needs. As far as medals goes, this is the closest medal you will ever find to an EK2. It is a pity they are treated like dirt.

(...)

As for Christophe I don't know where they can sell in Paris for the price he mentions, 5 - 10 Euros. Let's wait for his reply.(...)

Dolf

I've recently bought one in the "Puces de Vanves" for 7 euros (and there were many of them available), and as recently as today, I've found many (around 10) of them for sale for 10 euros each (before any negotiation) in the Chatou Foire (a kind of brocante lasting a week).

Ch.

(...) The problem with these is there are more of them than the market needs. As far as medals goes, this is the closest medal you will ever find to an EK2. It is a pity they are treated like dirt.

I agree. They deserve more than this. :(

Cheers.

Ch.

I've recently bought one in the "Puces de Vanves" for 7 euros (and there were many of them available), and as recently as today, I've found many (around 10) of them for sale for 10 euros each (before any negotiation) in the Chatou Foire (a kind of brocante lasting a week).

Ch.

Thanks again Christophe.

I checked eBay France as suggested by g_deploige and indeed there are quite a few offered for much less than the 45 Euros this guy asked for the piece I posted!

I guess it could be possible to get one there for 5 - 10 Euros, and in better condition than the one I posted!

Cheers,

Dolf

I agree. They deserve more than this. :(

Cheers.

Ch.

I guess the reason is indeed what Chris mentions on his post:

The problem with these is there are more of them than the market needs.

For my Portuguese War Cross 1814-1918 ( pics here, posts #7 and #8: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5643 ) I paid 95.00GBP (around 135.00 Euros) less than a year ago! But these are as far as I know much rarer than the French ones.

I guess it's the same as for the Interallied Victory Medals. Most are sold for very reasonable prices, but a few rarer ones are much more expensive and much harder to find!

Thanks again guys,

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Ch.

Bonjour Christophe,

As I'll be in Paris end of May (28 - 31), I would appreciate information on flea markets and brocantes like the ones you mention above so that I can make a visit myself. Feel free to send me a PM if you know of any taking place then ...

Thanks,

Hendrik

Ch.

This is the point I was trying to make. Take a WW1 EK2, the value is EUR25-35, I am sure worldwide collectors would agree with that.

Up until a couple of years ago, you could get them on flea markets for EUR10-15, sometimes less.

With the C.d.G. you can STILL get them at those prices on the flea market, and maybe this will still be so in 10 years time as the international collector vaccum will not suck them up the same way they do EKs.

But taking the international average price for a C.d.G. (British, US, Canadian dealers etc) you still find them at about EUR30. The fact that i bought one last year at a junk barn /Brocante near Quimper for EUR3 does not help someone in Toronto.

Its the "Lucky local price" compared to the "Market" price.

Note to our members in France.

I will take as many packets of 10 WW1 C.d.G.s as you can put together (must have ribbon and device) for EUR70 :-), I love them things.....

Bonjour Christophe,

As I'll be in Paris end of May (28 - 31), I would appreciate information on flea markets and brocantes like the ones you mention above so that I can make a visit myself. Feel free to send me a PM if you know of any taking place then ...

Thanks,

Hendrik

Bonjour Hendrik,

There's a possibility I will be in Paris when you are here. I'll certainly send you a PM meanwhile, and maybe will we have the chance to see us ?

PM to come (not today, but tomorrow for sure :blush: ). I've to clean my PM box.

Cheers.

Ch.

This is the point I was trying to make. Take a WW1 EK2, the value is EUR25-35, I am sure worldwide collectors would agree with that.

Up until a couple of years ago, you could get them on flea markets for EUR10-15, sometimes less.

With the C.d.G. you can STILL get them at those prices on the flea market, and maybe this will still be so in 10 years time as the international collector vaccum will not suck them up the same way they do EKs.

But taking the international average price for a C.d.G. (British, US, Canadian dealers etc) you still find them at about EUR30. The fact that i bought one last year at a junk barn /Brocante near Quimper for EUR3 does not help someone in Toronto.

Its the "Lucky local price" compared to the "Market" price.

Note to our members in France.

I will take as many packets of 10 WW1 C.d.G.s as you can put together (must have ribbon and device) for EUR70 :-), I love them things.....

Chris,

No pb... :P I mentioned in my first post that I was talking about the price in Paris. Abroad (for me) : I've no idea... for obvious reasons.

Cheers.

Ch.