News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rarest WW1 EK2 Maker

I think the rarest cross in not always the most expensive cross. If the particular piece is too rare, nobody knows it and you can buy it cheaply. The most expensive crosses are those who are undoubtely nice and although not too much widespread, they were produced in enough numbers to show up on market occasionally, to fuel the debates on forums and to be posted (and seen) on that forums as well. The best thing is when the maker uses unique core, marks his crosses and - of course - the particular cross is in top, though patinated condition. And at last, but not least, all of this must happen sometimes around Christmas.

From what I remember, the top three expensive EK2s 1914 I saw being sold on eBay, are:

3. Hansen/K&B marked Fr, without ribbon: 82 €.

2. Deschler with trifold ribbon: 110 €

1. Ordinary Deumer, marked L/11: 114 €

Of course, I am talking about full sizes, not prinzens, sold in auctions. "Buy Now" sellers ask for such value absolutely normally - mainly on US and OZ ebay.

I agree, often rare and desirable dont go gand in hand.

I am guessing a period trifold ribbon is worth a bit as well, but I am surprised the L/11 takes the cake... I would have thought LDOs dont reach high prices.

I think the WW2 ones are taking off with guys collecting makers, have sen some go for over EUR200... Imperial stays the "ugly Stepson" :-)

I was surprised as well. Same as I was surprised that quite ordinary TR era Meybauer wideframe EK1 1914, that normally goes for 110 - 120 €, sold for around 500 € at the beginning of this year only because it was marked L13.
    Meybauer slim "Schinkel" frames marked with Meybauer´s "wappen", go for 150 €. To me they are nicer...

Edited by kasle

WW2 maker collectors have a dynamic all of their own, I remember when Panzer assault badges, no matter which maker, were around DM70... then variation collectors took off... Forums gave it turbo.... and now the skys the limit for smoe makers...

That´s the real rare beauty!!! ...so rare that it risks to be offered as patriotic cross (which usually are enamelled, though smaller) for "user friendly" price. I know one bastard (I mean it positively, although it doesn´t look like, but he is my FB friend) who had such luck twice. With enamelled EK1 1914 and with Virgin cros 1870/71

Edited by kasle

There used to be train of thought that said they were used for awards by the Kaiser, but as the kaiser awarded many crosses that is very unlikely. Also, the "Iron" of the cross was more or less sacred, so unlikely that the kaiser would be giving these out.

I am guessing they were for whoever wanted to afford one... even back then it would not have been cheap....