News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help identifying some Medals

Hi,

I recently lost my Grandad and have acquired some Medals that he had. There are two that I'm struggling to ID and I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

These are the medals:

Hi Matty85,

the second medal is for some elected members of sports events everywhere in Germany, only for the winners of larger competitions.

Such medals had been awarded from 1923 up to 1932. The day of the sports competitions was in every year the "11. August", the constitution day.

In the first years only 200 - 350 medals per year had been awarded, in the last years 2300 or some more.

See for example a document, here for Silber; your version is in Bronze:

Ehrenpreis_Plakette_in_Silber_1931_k.thu

Uwe

The first piece is a French commemorative medallion. As it stated it commemorates 40th anniversary of the Battle at Dunkirk ( British and commonwealth forces evacuation) and the 35th anniversary of the Liberation of Dunkirk. 

The first piece is a French commemorative medallion. As it stated it commemorates 40th anniversary of the Battle at Dunkirk ( British and commonwealth forces evacuation) and the 35th anniversary of the Liberation of Dunkirk. 

​Thanks, I just can't seem to find any record of this one. I'm guessing there are probably so many commemorate medallions around.

Hi Matty85,

the second medal is for some elected members of sports events everywhere in Germany, only for the winners of larger competitions.

Such medals had been awarded from 1923 up to 1932. The day of the sports competitions was in every year the "11. August", the constitution day.

In the first years only 200 - 350 medals per year had been awarded, in the last years 2300 or some more.

See for example a document, here for Silber; your version is in Bronze:

Ehrenpreis_Plakette_in_Silber_1931_k.thu

Uwe

Many thanks speedy top, that's a great help!

​Thanks, I just can't seem to find any record of this one. I'm guessing there are probably so many commemorate medallions around.

​Matty

A lot of these commemoratives are issued either by veterans groups or, in some cases, by a municiplaity or county/canton where the actions being remembered took place.  As a resuklt, they do not appear in the official lists issued by the various national cahncery offies [or their equivalents] as they are not official awards.  It makes identifying them a bit of a challenge and in future will undoubtedly confuse any number of collectors!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

If you type Stein sport medallion 1931 into Google,then click on pictures There's a Stein medallion for sale. Might give you some idea of the value.

Also one here.

eBay-Artikelnummer:
    Edited by ÖSTA