News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The butcher from wurtemberg...

It’s been a long time since I bought a bayonet, especially a S98/05nA (Seitengewehr model 1898/1905 neuer Art). Here in Belgium they are rather common but most of the time they are in not so good condition.
    This one was found with the frog and Wurtemberg NCO trodl. It has a  double makers stamps, all acceptance stamps but no year stamp or crowned letter to indicate the state.
    As often seen with bayonets that resided in old collections, there’s a little hole in the frog. These guys just nailed them to the wall because there was still enough of those things out there…
    The blade is still in almost mint condition, exept it has been sharpened in a very crude way… but it’s super sharp for a bayonet! During the war the bayonets were mostly sharpened, certainly in a combat zone. It’s a pitty though that the grinder didn’t take more care for that.
    All in all, I thought this is still a nice bayonet and it would fit nicely with my Wurtenberg NCO’s equipment…

Adler 1

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2001_zpsvy47oesl.j

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2002_zpsehjmapuo.j

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2003_zpsxl0jjxg6.j

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2004_zpsag1ivqvt.j

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2005_zpsxylhg3zz.j

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2006_zps76gtyzx3.j

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2007_zpstbfr5nmc.j

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2008_zpstdajwqhs.j

S98%2005%20Wurtemberg%2009_zpseqipg8sy.j

NB%2033_zpsouphzuyr.jpg

Frister & Rossmann was a sewing machine maker. During the war part of a corporation 'Aktiengesellschaft' I believe so they may have just assembled the bayonet or supplied it. I forget the other maker my mind goes blank,,, Karel aren't they normally associated with private purchase blades? maybe that.s why there is no date. I love the frog.

Eric

Thank you for your comments gentlemen!

The two producers on the blade is because one made the blade and the other assembled the bayonet. Looking at the stamps, it's most likely that Henckels made the blade because it appears the stamp is deeper and stamped before grinding the blade. The Frister & Rossman stamp appears to be stamped after grinding the blade and is less deep than the Henckels stamp. Also keeping in mind Henckels made knives and still does today, it would be unlikely that they wouldn't have produced the blade.

Why there is no date and state stamp, I really don't know. Since there is an abnahme stamp, it's certainly an issued piece. A Possible expanation can be that there was a misunderstanding between the two companies that made/assembled the bayonet and both were assuming the stamp was the responability of the other... But that's just guessing of course...

Adler 1

• 1 month later...

S.98/05's without state ciphers or year dates on the blade spine are not that uncommon but are unusual. This one has the usual 'fraktur' marks in the usual places and so it was certainly officially approved even if the inspector did not complete the spine markings. Perhaps it was unclear as to which state it was going to? Remember that after January 1915, there was a mad rush to order and produce the required number of S.98/05's... In addition, although bayonets were at being ordered on a state-by-state basis at the start of the GW, after 2nd March 1915 the orders for all types of bayonets was centralized at Erfurt. I have a feeling that after that date all bayonets were given a 'W' for Prussia spine mark whoever used them - but I am away from home and can't check my books, so don't quote me on that just yet! But, if that is the case, then this could well have been made early 1915.

• 1 month later...

.. In addition, although bayonets were at being ordered on a state-by-state basis at the start of the GW, after 2nd March 1915 the orders for all types of bayonets was centralized at Erfurt. I have a feeling that after that date all bayonets were given a 'W' for Prussia spine mark whoever used them - but I am away from home and can't check my books, so don't quote me on that just yet! But, if that is the case, then this could well have been made early 1915.

Well, I was wrong on that one - Bavarian and Saxon ones dated after 1916 still have the respective King's monograms...

• 9 months later...
    On 6/29/2015 at 12:56, Adler 1 said:

The two producers on the blade is because one made the blade and the other assembled the bayonet. Looking at the stamps, it's most likely that Henckels made the blade because it appears the stamp is deeper and stamped before grinding the blade. The Frister & Rossman stamp appears to be stamped after grinding the blade and is less deep than the Henckels stamp. Also keeping in mind Henckels made knives and still does today, it would be unlikely that they wouldn't have produced the blade.

In theory, as the Frister stamp is on the left side of the bayonet, then they made the blade. and as the Henckels is on the right side, they finished the bayonet.