News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross - 2008

Does anyone know anything about this subject. Saw the attached on ebay.

GERMANY – 2008 IRON CROSS FIRST CLASS – BUNDESWEHR PROPOSED MEDAL  

eBay item number:

55b70e97baa29__14.thumb.JPG.0e20b836a46655b70ec9452d5__14_(1).thumb.JPG.9f4851be

$_57.JPG

Edited by ÖSTA

In my opinion this is nice proof that shadow side of this hobby is hardly working on marketing strategies as well. My hat down. This piece will nicely display together with 1941 EK "For robbery and murder". These two "EK eras" I consider very unique, because crosses issued with this dates, were in fact issued only in the dreams of their producers.

Of course, this cross is backed up with fancy looking story about being prototype piece from 2008 when there was public effort in Germany to reinstitute Iron Cross as Bundeswehr award for bravery, so that - of course, no wonder - some prototypes were prepared already. Thus happened that this crap is disquised as very rare curiosity - and a must for every EK collector.

This story has just three, but crucial mistakes:

1. This effort (public petition) started (and ended) in 2007, not 2008.
    From Wikipedia: In 2007, a petition to the German parliament to revive the Iron Cross decoration was initiated, quickly receiving over 5,000 signatures. The parliament decided on 13 December 2007 to leave it to the Ministry of Defence to decide on the matter.

Just FYI: In 2008, Ministry of Defence instituted Honour cross of Bundeswehr for Bravery, thus automatically rejecting the revival of Iron Cross.

2. Doesn´t matter who is expected to be producer, but I see no reason for him to choose for his "Prototype" cross a well known fake frame and fake hardware, already making its rounds on ebay with 1870 date (mainly). Except one reason: he is the same bloody faker.

3. I would expect really low numbers of these crosses to be made as prototypes. In fact, they flooded the ebay just few weeks ago. One seller on American ebay offers them for 27 dollars per piece, with more than 10 pieces in stock. Probably this guy found some "Bundeswehr prototype hoard", lol.

Btw - why this market flood didn´t happen already sometimes in 2008 - 2009? Who would keep these pieces for 6 - 7 years and started offering them just few weeks ago?

Edited by kasle

Kasle,

Oh I agree with you 100%. It's a case of 'jumping-on-the-bandwagon' before the band. Just like royal wedding/corronation souveniers (events that were either postponed or didn't happen).

I thought It might be interesting for the readers though.

By the way, I don't think the 'Ehrenkreuz der Bundeswehr für Tapferkeit' does justice to the bravery involved. Like most OMD's here in Germany they do look like - to quote a friend -  "Kaugummiautomatenorden" - Bubblegum machine medals!!

Thanks for your response

Edited by ÖSTA

As I said in last sentence - this is jumping on the bandwagon not before the band - but seven years after it was clear there would be no party.

And I agree with your friend. Modern German awards really do look cheap, but it is problem of many modern awards. They are no more jewels made by jewelers or state mints. More and more they look like carnival stuff made on machines that can be afforded even by small advertising agency.

Edited by kasle

You are partially right.  From personal experience, I think the quality of U.K. awards is generally very high for official medals & decorations. Of course in Britain, the named/engraved medal is more important than the piece of paper that comes with it. Not the case in most other European lands. 

Jock, 

Which Government? If German, then you get paperwork  If U.K. then it depends on what you get (MoD compliment slip at best for none  London Gazette). If NATO (not a government I know) you get paperwork etc.

There is nothing wrong with 'chocolate medals'  They're all deserved  - good for you.