News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thought this was the right time to get one of these ........................  :)

Belonged to Corporal John Kruger, 3rd Hussars, King's German Legion, who fought with Captain Quintus Baron von Goeben's troop in the Peninsula and at Waterloo, where they suffered 20% casualties.

Kruger lived on to receive the 1847 Military General Service Medal.

The suspender is a typical Hanoverian replacement, c.1835  (They didn't like the original iron rings, which went rusty !!)

The ribbon is an old silk one too ................. not the usually encountered modern polyester addition.  :)

Waterloo Medal 1.jpg

Edited by Robin Lumsden

As part of my education in a newly found interest, I have just started reading Bernard Cornwall's book, 'Waterloo'.  In it he writes that for the Peninsula War the "[King's German] Legion had been raised in Hanover"  and "in 1815 Hanover sent another 16,000 men to join Wellington's army."   I had hitherto naively thought that the German Legion was made up of men from all the German states of that time.  Might it otherwise more correctly been named the 'King's Hanoverian Legion'?

Robin, I like the medal.  Thank you for showing it.

Regards

Brett

Waterloo_Medal_2.thumb.jpg.216e1e79eadd0Hello again, Paul.

What document did this written entry come from, please ??

Apparently pre-1815, as he was a Corporal at Waterloo.

The 'gate-keeper' thing is very intriguing !!

This photo shows this (well-worn) medal in a better light. :)

With the typical Hanoverian suspender.

Other similar Hanoverian suspenders ..................

Waterloo Medal KGL and Guelphic Medal for Bravery - Similar Swivelling Curved Bar Suspenders.jpg

Waterloo v. Peninsular War Medals Proportions.jpg

Waterloo Brunswick Ehrenducat Commemorative Medal 1834 - Swivelling Curved Bar Suspenders.jpg

Edited by Robin Lumsden

Hi Robin, Corporal John Krüger, Captain Gaeben's Troop,3rd Regiment of Hussars King's German Legion, confirmend on Waterloo roll, have spent the morning trying to find anything else but to no avail, sorry

John Krüger1.jpg

Thanks Paul.

I didn't realise this was from the original Waterloo Roll  ................ I just have the later reprint from the Naval & Military Press.

Captain 'Gaeben' should be 'von Goeben' ................... clerical error on the roll, I think.

I got a potted history of the service record of von Goeben's troop along with the medal ................... photocopies taken from the official history of the KGL.

It confirmed Kruger as a Private under von Goeben in the Peninsula and other campaigns, and as a Corporal at Waterloo.

Edited by Robin Lumsden