News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion D`Honneur and British Crimea

Tunneller

Jim,

Terrific set! Henri Meneboode was a lieutenant of the 91st Infantry Regiment when he has been awarded the LdH in 1862.

This is really great to have a name and a story with a french group. I am jealous... congrats.

Regards

Bison

Bison,

Many  thanks  for  your  comment.  Unfortunately  the  Crimea  came  away  from its  fixing in  the  case  during transport  from  France. The  medal ribbon  is  now  like paper and  has  been  difficult  to  remount.  However,  i  have  kept it  with  the original  ribbon as it  should  be.The  case itself is  beautiful  with  the original  bevelled  glass

Regards

Jim

• 5 weeks later...

Jim,

Terrific set! Henri Meneboode was a lieutenant of the 91st Infantry Regiment when he has been awarded the LdH in 1862.

This is really great to have a name and a story with a french group. I am jealous... congrats.

Regards

Bison

bonjour,

Looks like the Légion d'honneur was hard-earnt too ; the 1862 decree states :
    "
    Meneboode (Benoît-Charles-Henri) , lieutenant au quatre-vingt-onzième régiment d'infanterie de ligne; vingt ans de service effectif, 8 campagnes, 3 blessures."

(20 years service, 8 campaigns, 3 wounds)

91e de Ligne was the old 16e Léger ; and it seems to have been a family affair, as the 1852 Annuaire Militaire shows a MENEBOODE as "Capitaine d'Habillement" au 16e Léger - his uncle as it seems from a genealogical website...

Benoît-Charles-Henry MENEBOODE was a Sergent-Major in the 5e Compagnie of the 1er Bataillon of the 91e de Ligne (Capitaine DE POILLOUE DE ST-MARS) when the Company embarked at Philippeville (Algeria) on 14 January 1855 (Morning).

They disembarked at Constantinople on 22nd inst, evening.
    They embarked there on the morning of 1st March, to reach Kamiesch on 5th, evening.

That Compagnie was re-numbered 1re Compagnie of the 3e Bataillon. Its Captain was detached as Officier d'Ordonnance of the Général de Division.
    The Compagnie took part in the 18 June 1855 attack, colloquially called "Mamelon Vert" ; half the regiment was killed or wounded there, inluding 20 officers. MENEBOODE's compagnie lost its 2 officers there - Lieutenant ANOT, killed in action, and Sous-Lieutenant MALLAY, taken prisonner by the Russians.

On 23 June, MENEBOODE transferred to the Grenadiers Company of the1er Bataillon, replacing in this Elite Company Sergent-Major ORSAL who had been killed on 18th June.

He would not stay long with them, being commissioned a Sous-Lieutenant by the Général en Chef commandant l'Armée d'Orient on 29th June, and assigned to his former Compagnie (1re of the 3e Bataillon), now depleted of officers as we saw.

MENEBOODE entered the Ambulance on 21st July. I cannot say is this is due to a wound, or sickness.
    He was evacuated from the Crimea, and sent back to  Dunkirk (this is dated 2nd September, but I cannot say for sure if this is the date he left, or the date he reached).

MENEBOODE was promoted to Lieutenant, decree dated 23rd September 1855 and received by the regiment on 3rd October, and transferred to the 4e Compagnie of the 2e Bataillon of the Regiment.

While on sick leave, his health apparently deteriorated, as he was admitted into Dunkerque hospital on 25 November 1855. Discharged on 30 december, his sick-leave was extended by another 3 months. He made back for Marseille on 24th February 1856, was admitted into Marseille hospital on 27th, and discharged on 11 March 1856.

On 15th March morning, he ...embarked for the Crimea, disembarking at Kamiesch on 5th April afternoon.

He would eventually leave the Crimea with his Compagnie the next month, embarking at Kamiesch on 13th May (morning), and finally disembarking at Marseille on 25th inst., afternoon.

Cheers !

Jerome

My pleasure Jim.

As it stands, the Crimea medal is correct with its "Sebastopol" clasp.

Bien cordialement,
    Jérôme

Edited by Djedj
    (Edited - hadn't properly seen the clasp photo ! Duh !!)