News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Identification of medals

For many years I have this CdV portrait of an old man wearing 2 medals in my collection. The picture can be dated 1855/1860, and he is defenetely 65+ years old.

I have always assumed that he is a Naval veteran, due to the fact that the portrait was taken in Portsmouth, but that is just a guess, perhaps identification of the medals may help...

The two medals are of different size (could the 1st medal be the St.John d'Acre and the 2nd the NGS?). Suspenders with these early medals were often produced by jewelers in many variations. Both medals may have clasps....

Which of the learned gents has a clue?

Unidentified - 002a - (Portsmouth).jpg

Unidentified - 002b - (Portsmouth).jpg

Odulf  -  a distinguished old gentleman and in view of his age I would say either  medal is a possibility.    The NGS with it's size could well have covered early Naval sea battles  - how wonderful to know which bars are represented.   Unfortunately, I can't see an early identification  -  the quality is just not there.    Pity.    Mervyn

Thanks for your remarks Mervyn. If it is the St.Jean d'Acre medal, and the following is the NGS, one of the bars should be the one for Syria, the last of the NGS clasps to be issued. But the smaller medal may also be the Small Army Gold Medal, with a diameter of 33 mm) which would make it a different league all together (in that case the next medal would be the Military General Service Medal, measuring 36 mm).

However, I find the size of the clasp(s) on the 2nd medal to high for both the NGS and MGS, as these clasps are rather narrow. Puzzeling....