News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German awards to Turkish Military

chuck

Hello, 

Is it possible for a Turkish Officer to be awarded a Prussian order? I acquired a Prussian crown order 3rd class with swords (Gold) on a trip to Istanbul. Unfortunately the gentlemen selling the order was more knowledgeable on the price of gold which is why he was selling the order. I understand there were very few awards in world war 1 of this specific order to Germans.

Thank you greatly for all replies,

Chuck

Front_20150806.jpg

Chuck, the short answer is "yes" - the Prussian Order of the Crown could be awarded to foreign officers, including Turks.  For example, Kemal Atatürk was awarded the 1st Class order. 

That's about all I can say since I am not an expert in the Order.  You may not have caught the eye of the German ODM experts since this is in the Turkey forum.  I will put a link in the German sub-forum and hopefully it will catch an expert's eye and opinion.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, 

Is it possible for a Turkish Officer to be awarded a Prussian order? I acquired a Prussian crown order 3rd class with swords (Gold) on a trip to Istanbul. Unfortunately the gentlemen selling the order was more knowledgeable on the price of gold which is why he was selling the order. I understand there were very few awards in world war 1 of this specific order to Germans.

Thank you greatly for all replies,

Chuck

Front_20150806.jpg

Ciao Chuck,

in this german Forum there is a thread with a photo from a turkish officer

http://h2385226.stratoserver.net/wbb3/board3-epochenforum/board5-deutsche-orden-ehrenzeichen-auszeichnungen-bis-1918/64587-türk-offizier-mit-dt-orden/?highlight=türkische

his is wearing several classes from the Roter Adler Orden

Kind regards
    Andreas

Hi Chuck,

I´ve found an award document for the Royal Crown Order 3rd Class with

swords on the statutory ribbon.

Awarded to kaiserlich türkischen Kapitänleutnant Mustafa Assaf on October 16th 1917.

But this cross would have been from silver gilt.

Kind regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thank you, it does answer part of my question that the crown order was awarded to Turkish Naval officers during World War 1.

Interesting perspective is O'Connor quote from Herr Willi Geile on the 3rd class Red Eagle Order with swords that most awards went to Oberstleutnant (Naval rank  would be a Fregattenkaptian) during the 1st World War. For even a crown order 3rd class award to go Hauptmann would seem like a rather high award considering he was a foreign officer.

cheers,

chuck

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...