News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to Clean Ribbon Bar mounted?

My concern would be colours running, making me leaving it as is but hopefully someone can help you out so you at least have a choice.

I've only ever cleaned glue from old British ribbons by leaving them soaking in soapy water, they didn't run or get clean but it did remove the glue.

Tony

Hi

A long time ago I tried to clean some german ribbon with just water as it was really dirty. It did clean it but it is not something I would do again as it did slightly fade the colour and  changed the feel of the material making it very soft and pliable. I would leave it as is.

Nick 

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

I would try just simply brushing it with a bristle brush-nothing more. I have been amazed at the improvement that can make. Be very careful wetting it, if considering that I would use a new j-cloth & barely wet it at all & just give it a very light rub with that. Personally I would just brush it & leave it.

• 2 weeks later...

Do NOT use water, for all the reasons cited above.

One technique sometimes used in museums for old fabrics is to rub, gently, over the surface of the ribbons with a bit of dry white bread.  Strange but true.  It may pick up some of the bits of surface dirt and other than crumbs leaves nothing behind. A bit like using an art eraser, but even gentler and certainly less likely to cause damage than a brush.

Or just leave them.  Age has it's own beauty.