News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Prussian Order of the Crown - Turkish awards?

A Turkish officer absolutely could be awarded a Prussian order.  For example, Enver Pasha received the Pour le Merite in 1915 for his part in the Gallipoli campaign.  As i understand it, the Red Eagle Order was the usual peacetime award to foreigners.  Early on, there was a special version for non-Christians but, it was short lived and the standard version was awarded in most cases.

Since Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was awarded with Order of the crown 1st class, some lower ranked Turkish officer could be awarded with 3rd class with swords. If you check Order of the Crown (Prussia) at English Wikipedia, you will see an incomplete list of foreign recipients of this order in all classes - couple of Brits, Italian, Turk, etc...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Crown_(Prussia)

But I think - due to vital German - Turkish relations, this particular award can be just "bringback" of some Turkish gastarbeiter.

Edited by kasle

While it is possible the Crown Order 3rd Class with Swords was awarded to a Turkish field grade officer, there is no way to tell if this particular piece was actually awarded to a Turk.  We could speculate all day about possible ways how this particular specimen ended up in Turkey.

While it is possible the Crown Order 3rd Class with Swords was awarded to a Turkish field grade officer, there is no way to tell if this particular piece was actually awarded to a Turk.  ...

But if this order comes with a blue ribbon, it was likely awarded to a non-Prussian officer.

Regards, Komtur.

But if this order comes with a blue ribbon, it was likely awarded to a non-Prussian officer.

Regards, Komtur.

The medal posted by the OP in the Turkey forum is without a ribbon.  But wasn't the blue ribbon simply for a peacetime award?  With swords it would be a wartime award, wouldn't it?  Were wartime awards to foreigners on a blue ribbon instead of the usual black/white ribbon? 

The medal posted by the OP in the Turkey forum is without a ribbon.  But wasn't the blue ribbon simply for a peacetime award?  With swords it would be a wartime award, wouldn't it?  Were wartime awards to foreigners on a blue ribbon instead of the usual black/white ribbon? 

Answered my own question with a quick search: Thanks GMIC! :P

Edited by IrishGunner
    Added question

All,

Thank you for your replies. I understand that their is no way to find an individual recipient to this Order, OR if this order was actually awarded to a Turkish Officer. 

Does anyone know the number of awards to foreign officers? I have read only 91 were awarded during the colonial era and 53 during the 1st world war. (O'Connor, Vol II, pg 43.)

Chuck 

• 2 months later...

Cartaphilus,

From what i have read in O'conners books their is no complete list of the awards during the 1st World War. He does state the 1st and 2nd class were still awarded, but the 3rd and 4th class all but ceased to be awarded for valor(with swords). Hence the low numbers i quoted for the 3rd class with swords in the previous post #8.

cheers, 

chuck