News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iranian medal?

JBFloyd

This one doesn't appear in any source that I can find.  It is vaguely similar in appearance to the Iranian Order of Gratitude, which is why I will tentatively identify it as Iranian.

Does anyone have a solid identification/name for this one?

img066.jpg

The reverse is blank, with a small circular backplate. No maker's or fineness marks.  Based on Dave's helpful translation, and in the absence of any documentary evidence to the contrary, I'll refer to it as The Order of Culture.

Yes, it is the Medal (rather than order) of Culture from the imperial era. Awarded for cultural achievement and quite popular. Dave is right : the inscription reads "farhang", ie. "culture" in Farsi. Not sure about the ribbon. Most copies I have seen had either the Iranian tricolour or no ribbon at all. Will you please show the other side together with the ribbon? What is its width?

Jeff, Lukasz, Paul, Dave,

I think there are/were 4 classes - yours is, I think, a 2nd Class - see attached photo for 1st, 3rd & 4th class. Sorry about the quality but these were in my collection but disposed of some time ago. The 3rd Class has the manufacturer "Pars Nishan Factory Tehran" on the reverse (Nishan is Farsi for Order). Of course this may all be supposition.

There is also a similar order for Art / Letters / Music, but I am not sure of the correct title - although in Farsi it is "Nishan Honar" (??) - see attached - probably/possibly follows the same sequence as the Order of Culture.

To confuse matters further there is I believe a specific Medal of Art in 3 classes - see attached image of the 3rd Class.

Regards,

Owain

P1030988.JPG

P1030989.JPG

P1030990.JPG

P1030991.JPG

P1030998.JPG

P1030999.JPG

P1030996.JPG

P1030997.JPG

Edited by oamotme

• 1 year later...