News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Fariz,

It's a type 5.10 Panzerkampfabzeichen or "Vienna Design" late war example by a so far unknown maker that goes by the name "Scooped Out Flat Back" in collector circles. Considering the mass of type 5 badges around, this one is fairly uncommon. They can be found with a quality Brennlack coating that has often stood the test of time well, or like this one, a basic wash finish that has disappeared over the years.

Regards, Ned.

Hello Ned,

Thank you! That was very helpful.

I bought the badge from Ulric of England way back in 1995/1996. Was worried that it might be a fake as it doesn't look like any of the PABs commonly seen.

Would I be correct in saying that it's a bronze PAB? Also, does "Vienna design" mean that it produced by an Austrian or Vienna based manufacturer and are all similar designs/variants called "Type 5"? 

Hello Ned,

Thank you! That was very helpful.

I bought the badge from Ulric of England way back in 1995/1996. Was worried that it might be a fake as it doesn't look like any of the PABs commonly seen.

Would I be correct in saying that it's a bronze PAB? Also, does "Vienna design" mean that it produced by an Austrian or Vienna based manufacturer and are all similar designs/variants called "Type 5"? 

Hi Fariz,

It's hard to say what grade this badge is as there's no real finish left to tell, but it might be a silver one as there seems to be a little bit of  lacquer, possibly silver, left on it.

The name "Vienna Design" was coined because at least two manufacturers who used this generic design, the last type produced, were from that area, namely Souval and Orth. Many but not all of the other users have so far remained unknown. The Type 5 design itself is crude compared to many earlier types, but it was designed for ease of production of solid zinc badges by manufacturers who did not have the ability or facilities to produce their own dies or design. Also at this time during the war the requirement for more awards cheaply produced was vastly increased, causing overall quality to suffer compared to earlier produced examples.

Basically all Type 5 badges by makers known or unknown are more or less identical, on the obverse side at least, although a couple of makers like R.R.S. and to a lesser degree Hobacher did alter the grass foreground area on some of there badges. The reverse sides vary in set ups to a wide degree, at the later stages of the war virtually any kind of hardware can be found mixed and matched by many makers just to complete an order.

There's a lot more to it, but that's a basic resume as I see it.

Regards, Ned.