News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Additional Information Sought on Czech Medal

I had asked questions on another forum a few years back and wanted to know if anyone here might have any additional information?

I understand the official name is "Commemorative Medal of the National Revolt in Adria" or as I had translated as, the "Commemorative Medal for the National Resistance in the Adriatic Sea".  It's a commemorative medal awarded by the Union of Marine Revolutionists in 1948 on occasion of the 30th anniversary of the mutiny of Austrian marines of Czech origin in the Austrian Naval base in Boka Kotorska.

1948 Commemorative Medal of the National Revolt in Adria.JPG

Commemorative Medal of the National Revolt in Adria 2.JPG

As Czechoslovakia was landlocked and did not have a navy, I suspected it was awarded to those serving in the Austro-Hungarian fleet.

I know at one point, up to ten percent of the Austro-Hungarian Imperial and Royal War Navy was made up of Czech sailors. The Austro-Hungarian fleet was mostly made up of German U-boats, and about a third of the men who served on them were Czech. Czechs also worked as engineers, musicians, and doctors in the navy as well.

Because the medal commemorates a revolt,  I can't help but wonder if this belonged to a sailor involved in the mutiny of 1918. On February 1st, 1918, sailors serving on some 40 war ships in the Bay of Kotor mutinied.  Initially, the 3-day mutiny was interpreted as a rebellion of the oppressed Slavic nations against their German leaders but the effort moved them to finally arrive at peace, or at least be given better provisions. Many of the participants were sentenced to death for their actions.

The only information online I've found is from Wikipedia:

The Gulf of Kotor Mutiny was an unsuccessful revolt by sailors of the Austro-Hungarian Navy in 1918. The mutiny took place in the Gulf of Kotor naval base.

As World War I progressed, the cumulative effects of wartime economic and social disorganization became pervasive and the discipline of Austro-Hungarian soldiers faded away. Hunger, cold and pointless drills resulted in complaints, desertions and strikes. Revolutionary propaganda fuelled by the example of the Russian Revolution spread among soldiers and workers.

On February 1, 1918 a mutiny started in the Fifth fleet at the Gulf of Kotor naval base on the Adriatic Sea. Sailors on about 40 ships had joined the mutiny. Initial demands for better treatment were soon replaced by political demands and a call for peace.

The mutiny failed to spread to other units. On February 3, the loyal Third fleet arrived and together with coastal artillery engaged in a short and successful skirmish against the mutineers. About 800 sailors were imprisoned, dozens were court-martialed and four seamen were executed (the leader of the uprising, Bohemian social democrat Fraz Rasch and three Croatians).

The Commander-in-Chief of the fleet, Maximilan Niegovan, was replaced by Miklos Horthy, who was later promoted to Rear Admiral (Konteradmiral).

Here are a couple of online photos showing Czech sailors during the time period.

5.jpg

6.jpg

I have found it listed in the Sukenik/Novontny reference but it really doesn't give much information on it.

Sukenik-Novontny.JPG

Finally, from an online source, here's a certificate (numbered 76) for this medal.

Not sure how many were actually awarded but, if the number of imprisoned sailors were around 800, then I would imagine the medal to have a production number below 1000.  Does anyone know for sure?

Thank you,

Tim

7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

...there was an article about this medal in journal SIGNUM, III.row, Nr.16 from december 2001, pages 397-401... but.. in czech language ;)

Iver,

Not in possession of the journal and would have to use a online translation to read Czech.  Do you have that issue and can you elaborate what the article stated?

Tim

The medal is illustrated and described in Ceskoslovenská vyznamenáni Book 5 by Vaclav Mericka (published in 1979), page 45.  My Czech is not very good but it appears to indicate that the medal was instituted in 1948. He does not indicate the number produced or issued.  Mericka probably indicates for what the medal was issued but my Czech is not good enough to translate it.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

according to an article published two years ago by Central military archives Prague, it was first produced 500 pieces of the medal and shortly after  another 300 pieces. There is no difference between both emmisions. From documents available it is clear, that no further medals were produced. Till June 2nd 1949  596 pieces was awarded. It is quite probale, that some medals were awarded later.

Regards

Jan

See: http://www.vuapraha.cz/sites/default/files/documents/rocenka_vha_2014.pdf