News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is my favorite NCO group ! Just traded for it its been tracked to 7 NCOs that received both MEZ and Baden Silver Merit medal on MKF ribbon for China/boxer rebellion ! I feel this is a Prussian NCO ? is there a list or break up of the units in China by State ?

post-160-1176857615.jpg

post-160-1176857772.jpg

If I am not mistaken, on that Mecklenburg bar (post #80), I see a pre 1908 Red Eagle medal on the Hohenzollern ribbon in there. Any idea as to what this was awarded for? Quite rare, very nice indeed and congratulations!

6 hours ago, Wild Card said:

If I am not mistaken, on that Mecklenburg bar (post #80), I see a pre 1908 Red Eagle medal on the Hohenzollern ribbon in there. Any idea as to what this was awarded for? ...

The medal was given with the Hohenzollern ribbon only once. On the occasion of release of the Stabswache des Großen Hauptquartiers (Guard of the Great Headquarter) on April the 29th 1871 all men and officers of the Stabswache received the Red Eagle Medal on this ribbon. In July 1870 the Infanterie-Stabswache was formed from men of the Lehr-Infanterie-Bataillon and the Kavallerie-Stabswache from troops of the Militär-Reit-Institut. The Lehr-Infanterie-Bataillon, affiliated to the 1. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß, was established in 1819 to improve the equability of service and training in the Prussian regiments. Every year the regiments had to send a few men and NCO to this training unit. From 1868 on the contingents of the German states, belonging to the Norddeutscher Bund (North German League) also sent men to the Lehr-Infanterie-Bataillon. Therefore we find medal bars of Prussians, but also of persons from other states of the Norddeutscher Bund, such as Mecklenburger or Saxon with the Red Eagle Medal on the Hohenzollern ribbon. The authorised strength of the Lehr-Infanterie-Bataillon in July 1870 was 656 men and NCO. Half of these formed the Infanterie-Stabswache, the other half were sent back to there units. So we can estimate, that about 330 infanterymen got this special combination. Even if it is not clear, how many cavalryman from the Militär-Reit-Institut were used to form the Kavallerie-Stabswache, we can assume, that altogether not more then about 500 Red Eagle Medals on the Hohenzollern ribbon were awarded.

Regards, Komtur.

IMG_9080 - Kopie.jpg

S 163 a - Kopie.JPG

Edited by Komtur

1 hour ago, Paul C said:

Very odd, Bavarian jubilee medal with Prussian long service medal. Can anyone explain?

Saw something like this some times before when bavarian officers were for long times in prussian service or units , for example in the Schutztruppe , we had a lot of discussions in german forums about these "long service things" ;) , this is a wide field with many possibilities and surprises....

Indeed, Bavarians in the Navy or the Schutztruppe would receive the Prussian DA. I suppose it is possible that a Bavarian officer who returned the Bavarian Army after serving in the Schutztruppe could have both a Bavarian and a Prussian DA, or a choice of both.

On 3/2/2017 at 18:22, scottplen said:

This is my favorite NCO group ! Just traded for it its been tracked to 7 NCOs that received both MEZ and Baden Silver Merit medal on MKF ribbon for China/boxer rebellion ! I feel this is a Prussian NCO ? is there a list or break up of the units in China by State ?

post-160-1176857615.jpg

post-160-1176857772.jpg

Do you have the seven names? I can check my Baden resources and see if any can be ruled out, for example because of the lack of a 1902 Baden Regierungsjubiläumsmedaille.

Dave

10 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

Indeed, Bavarians in the Navy or the Schutztruppe would receive the Prussian DA. I suppose it is possible that a Bavarian officer who returned the Bavarian Army after serving in the Schutztruppe could have both a Bavarian and a Prussian DA, or a choice of both.

Do you have the seven names? I can check my Baden resources and see if any can be ruled out, for example because of the lack of a 1902 Baden Regierungsjubiläumsmedaille.

Dave

Dave Thank you here 

are the 7 names

Gefr Ammon 6 OA infanterie Regiment

Uffz Hauck OA Reiter Regt 

Sgt Heinrich J H Linemann 4 O A IR

Pioner Wilhelm M?ssig OA Pionier bat

Kanonier Karl Schumann OA Bat schwerer Feldhauitzen 

Paul Skowanek 4 OA inf regt 

Gefr Hermann H?pfinger Kommando fed OA exp.

thanks Scott

Paul Skowranek received the 1902 Baden Regierungsjubiläumsmedaille as a Feldwebel in IR 142, so he can be ruled out.  

I can't say anything for certain about the others, although Hermann Höpfinger is a very "badisch" name.  Ancestry has 31 entries for that name in the database for "Baden, Germany, Lutheran Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials".

As with the Bavarian bar discussed above, however, it is possible that a native Badener might have received a Prussian long service award if he was not in a XIV.AK unit at the time of award, for example if he was in the Schutztruppe.

• 9 months later...