News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I've had these three Met horse badges in my collection for years now, and still am on the look-out for earlier examples. However, years ago, I was told, by a collector that I respect, that prior to the reign of George V, the martingale badge used by the Met did not have 'Metropolitan Police' written on them, but wore the Royal Motto, like so many military badges did (see example). I don't know what his source of information was, or how reliable it is. Is anyone out there able to confirm this information, or has anyone seen a martingale badge with both the wording, 'Metropolitan Police' as well as cyphers for VR or EviiR? It seems like somewhat of a waste of time to continue a search for something that doesn't exist, when I could spend the few hours I have left on Earth doing something worthwhile, like mowing the lawn or painting the bathroom. 

K7A246540259C3_1000025 10.23.34 PM.JPG

$_12.JPG

Your informant is incorrect. The Metpol. have produced the full range of horse breast badges from VR to the present day, all showing the words "Metropolitan Police". The Metpol. Mounted Branch ay Imber Court have a small museum which has exhibited a short lived EVIIIR version. This particular version is the only one which I am missing from my collection. The brass coloured item which you show is a generic military horse breast badge. I hope this is helpful.

Dave.

Thanks for weighing in, Dave. Very helpful. Any chance you could post a couple of photos? I'd especially like to see the Cyphers for VR & EviiR. On some insignia, the cypher is easy to read; on others, a good deal of imagination is needed to de-cypher the cypher. Thanks again, Mike.

Mike,

See the attached photos. The "unnamed" QVC badge is purportedly from the Commissioner's horse furniture but I've been unable to confirm this either way. There are, as you can see, two different patterns of the "named" QVC badge. Alas, the EVIIR version is a poor example. The final photo shows a representative grouping of QVC helmet plates etc as worn in the Metropolis itself (not the Dockyards or River).

Dave. 

QVC silver.JPG

QVC 1.JPG

QVC 2.JPG

EVIIR.JPG

Metpol.JPG

Dave   -  Vic Wilkinson of  PICA would be 'jealous' of some of your numbered plates  - that is his speciality.

You  have a lovely collection and I would not be surprised if the first example is for senior officers (say Asst. Comms) and above.   The appearance is cast silver  -  easily tested.  Mervyn

Mervyn,

Thank you for your kind comments (and also to Mike).  Yes, Vic Wilkinson has had sight of them. Vic has many Metpol. items I don't have and vice versa, so its swings and roundabouts. 

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson