News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal of Honor, awarded more than once?

I was conducting some research into how many Purple Hearts an individual soldier had `won` during the course of their career. I believe this to be Robert L Howard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Howard during the Vietnam war (there's also a guy whose won 5 for Iraq & Afghanistan). Interesting Howard was recommended for the Medal of Honor on three separate occasions. Which leads me onto my question is it possible (like the Victoria Cross) to win the Medal of Honor more than once?

Thanks gents, that's very interesting. If you where shown a double MOH how could you tell, do they have an emblem on the ribbon like other US medals do?

I believe that the various arms have a slightly different MOH, if someone should win say one asa Marine and another as Soldier, would they wear two MOH's?

Or did the 13 double winners in fact wear two MOHs?

Daly_DJ.jpg

Private_John_J._Kelly,_USMC.jpg

Captain Thomas Ward Custer, Seventh Cavalry, younger brother of General George Armstrong Custer. He was a two time Medal of Honor winner, they were awarded for actions on 2 April and 6 April 1865. Both times for personally capturing enemy regimental flags while under heavy fire. He died along with his brother at the Battle of Little Bighorn on 25 June 1876.

post-387-1171074410.jpg

Some relevant pics from the net.

Now as for a double award nowadays which is extremely unlikely to ever happen

"Department of Defense MANUAL NUMBER 1348.33, Volume 1 November 23, 2010
    Incorporating Change 1, October 12, 2011

h. Subsequent Awards. In accordance with sections 6247, 3744, and 8744 of Reference (k), no more than one MOH may be awarded to an individual. However, for each succeeding act that would otherwise justify award of the MOH, the individual receiving the subsequent award is authorized to wear an additional MOH ribbon and/or a “V” device on the MOH suspension ribbon.

i. Duplicate Awards. In accordance with sections 3754, 6256, and 8754 of Reference (k), a person awarded the MOH shall, upon written application of that person, be issued, without charge, a duplicate MOH with ribbons and appurtenances for display purposes. Note that the MOH flag is an appurtenance of the MOH. Therefore, MOH recipients are authorized, upon written application, a duplicate MOH flag for display purposes.

j. Authorized Devices. “V” Device. A “V” device is worn centered on the suspension ribbon to denote each subsequent award."

Edited by linden16