News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Amusing Purple Heart tales..........

Ladies/Gents,

Without wishing to make light of injures sustained by service personal in anyway shape or form!!!!!

I'm curious to know has anyone heard any amusing tales of injuries sustained which resulted in a PH been awarded? The type of thing that you wouldn't brag about down the pub.....:cheers:

What's the lamest wound that someone had been awarded a PH for? So lame that the guy refused to wear his PH?:D

We were under rocket attack one night at Camp Tien Sha, Danang.  In rushing down into the bunker, one of the guys forgot to duck and smacked his head against the support timber over the door.  As a scalp wound, it bled profusely, and, sure enough, the corpsman gave him a Purple Heart.  

Hello.

At the risk of sounding to make misplaced fun of a very old and respected US decoration I am reminded of a Bill Mauldin sketch showing a typical Mauldin GI at a first aid station. It goes something like this: A corpsman handing the GI a Purple Heart was told " I just want  an aspirin, I already got one of those."

Bernhard H. Holst

A Vietnam Veteran (supply clerk for a 155 mm howitzer battery) told me he was sleeping on a cot in the supply tent when his base came under rocket fire.  A sliver of shrapnel penetrated the tent, grazing his right-small toe -- for which he was awarded the Purple Heart for a combat wound.  Although the wound was slight (almost nonexistent) the award was legitimate.  

Hi Gents,

There was a nice posting on the US Militaria Forum a while back with an amusing sting in the tail (!)  http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/241171-buttwhat-do-you-believe/   post about 2/3 down the first page, extracts from a book about the OSS.

Bill

Edited by Bilco
    Update

The Dutch NDVN (Netherlands Detachment United Nations), was established on 15th Oct. 1950, and on 26-10 the 1st volunteer detachment was shipped to Korea. This unit at the strength of a Battalion, was attached to the US 38th Regt. Inf., with the 2nd US Inf. Division. Their Dutch uniforms, on arrival, were replaced by American kit. They were subordinate to the US Army Regulations, also regarding their insignia and decorations.

In total 124 Dutchmen died and 4 were MIA. But the Dutch sick and wounded were taken to hospital in Japan to be healed, also for minor defects such as an ingrowing toenail or VD. Hurried American Generals, indiscriminately, pinned Purple Hearts on any pillow in the sick-bay. So many Dutchies received this beautifuly produced medal, but they were not allowed to pin it on their uniform, because dress regulations, which were drewn up during WW2, when the Army in exile was in England, expelled that medals and badges of honour "for which there was a regular replacement, and for which the soldier would also qualify" had preference. So, all the casualties, sick and sad, who received this beautiful heart of purple were condamned to wear (if it was for serious enemy inflicted wounds!) the bare "tight" British Wounded bar on the lower sleeve in place of the glorious ribbon and heart. The (unnumbered) Purple Hearts found their way to the sweet hearts in Holland and there the ribbons were removed and the badges were worn (between the boobs) as valuable gifts from a loving soul across the globe for the suffering .... I wonder what tales were told....

• 2 months later...

Maybe this will fit in here.  After trying to identify this soldier for a long time, earlier this year I finally received paperwork from the VA.  The story of his award of the Purple Heart is very interesting - most sources say it was a buddy who accidentally shot him, or it could have been a sniper.

What were his wounds?  Well...just below the belt.  I couldn't help but laugh when I finally read into the paperwork.  Whether or not it was from enemy or friendly fire, the award is official and listed on his discharge papers.  Like some of the above stories, I suspect that whoever was doing the paperwork was very sympathetic and that's how the award came to be!

http://captainofthe7th.wix.com/rcmcollection#!hannah/c9ca

I don't consider this instance to be 'lame,' but actually well deserved whether he truly met the criteria of the award or not, as I think it's one of men's worst fears!  Luckily he only lost a small part of his package and still went on to have a few kids.

Rob

Edited by captainofthe7th

Tried before - trying again.

2 stories - one answering earlier question.  Brand new pilot to our unit at Bien Hoa flying front seat of a Cobra. Easy mission - last light visual recce intended to assure no bad guys sneaking into wire.  At end of mission - while calling in for landing over check point - single 51 cal round entered the cockpit area passing through armor plate - slamming into his butt and exiting other side - all without breaking skin.  Purple Heart apparently for mental anguish... took several months to calm him down - just in time to be shot down by SA7.  He was fine after a harrowing landing but promptly turned in his wings!!!

Other - cook in mess hall got egg shell in eye. (Where'd he find fresh eggs?)  After breakfast - went on sick call where medic wrote up treatment tag as "removed shell fragment from eye" - yup - Purple Heart!