News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Silver U- Boat Combat Clasp

I would like the forum members to give their opinion on this Silver U- Boat Combat Clasp maker (Entwurf) Peekhaus AUSF SCHWERIN BERLIN 68. I have checked with the seller as to were he got the medal, some of his replies,

“I believe that this was bought from a sale in Plymouth just after the war by my grandfather”.

“this has been in the family 60 odd years I have no reason to believe that it is a reproduction”.

I bought the medal for two reasons, as you can see from the picture that was posted by the seller the clasp is missing and had at one time been badly soldered on, why bother trying to solder a broken clasp back on if the medal was a replica, it could easily be replaced?

And comparatively to other U- Boat Combat Clasp’s I have seen on the internet, the lettering ‘Entwurf Peekhaus AUSF SCHWERIN BERLIN 68’ correspond quite well with the original.

I removed the solder so as to get as much of the makers mark as possible and cleaned the medal as much as possible with a mild cleaning fluid.

However collecting medals is not my strong point so not for the first time I could be wrong!

Dennis

large.1_u-boat_ba_orig.jpg.b8d3e5e9d022blarge.u-boat_5_fr.jpg.dd493deeb204f174eclarge.u-b_6.png.2b09de4195860a590ccb15ee

Morning, Dennis

It looks like an original to me....

Regarding; "as you can see from the picture that was posted by the seller the clasp is missing and had at one time been badly soldered on, why bother trying to solder a broken clasp back on if the medal was a replica, it could easily be replaced?"

believe me, fakers and unscrupulous sellers of fakes will try anything to pass a fake off as an original.  Taking a fake (either old or new) and making it look like it has a period repair is only one of the many methods used to fool the unwary.

Oh, the joys of collecting.