News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bronze Star devices.........

bigjarofwasps

I've noticed that there are various devices, which can be put onto the Bronze Star and that the Bronze Star is awarded for Bravery and Meritorious service. There's the V device for bravery and just a plain ribbon for merit. Duplicate awards are announced with oak leaf clusters.

My question is this, if someone has been awarded it several times, lets say three times for merit and once for bravery. Am I right in thinking that they'd have the V and two oak leafs? Could this thus be construed that they'd been awarded the Bronze Star for bravery three times?

Coast Guard, Navy, and Marine Corps use large golden stars (Silver star for sixth award) and the "V" to denote valor.

You can have one awarded for valor and three for merit, and the ribbon will still have the one V.  There is no way to really tell(other than the citation) the total number of Valor awards in the case of multiple awards by looking at the ribbon and medal. 

Edited by Paul R

• 2 months later...

I read somewhere recently that USN and USMC personnel should place the gold stars in front of the V device to denote more than one award for valor, and place stars after the V device for subsequent awards for merit.  I wish I kept the source as I can't back that up.  I don't think this applies to Army personnel with oak leaves.

Rob

4 hours ago, captainofthe7th said:

I read somewhere recently that USN and USMC personnel should place the gold stars in front of the V device to denote more than one award for valor, and place stars after the V device for subsequent awards for merit.  I wish I kept the source as I can't back that up.  I don't think this applies to Army personnel with oak leaves.

Rob

Never heard of this, but it makes good sense.  (I never had the problem with multiple awards.)

Best,

Hugh

CAPT, USN, Ret. so you'd think I should know  :)

Ha Hugh I think the thing is that collectors study these regulations and when you're actually in the military it doesn't matter where you put your stars or Vs....kind of backwards.

I did just read that for USN/USMC personnel that the V should be as close to the center of the ribbon as possible, keeping the devices symmetrical if possible.  So that could go against what I said earlier.

Rob