News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the White Eagle but with wrong box ?

Hi All,

I let my heart rule my head and bid on an Order of the White Eagle with Swords. I have been looking for one for a while as I have medals to a Nurse from WW1 who was reportedly also awarded the White Eagle with Swords for rescuing an Officer under fire (I have been unable to confirm this in any records though)

Anyway, the following medal was being sold by a dealer I purchase Japanese medals from..I got carried away and didn't get a chance to do any research.

The medal arrived today and the first thing that struck me is that the medal does not sit correctly within the case. In fact the case appears to be for a more circular medal. I searched from the GMIC and found a comment that Bertrand also made cases for the Karageorge award, with swords!!

Do I have a case for an Order of Karageorge and not a White Eagle? - I'm pretty sure I do (pictures are very hard to find on the net!!) but would like some expert advise before I go back to the dealer.

Secondly, if the case is wrong...what class White Eagle do I have - the case says 4..but I suspect it may be 5th :-(

Thanks in advance!

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

Greetings and welcome to GMIC,

I believe that you are right, box is for Order of the Star of Karađorđe with swords. Boxes for White Eagle Order are white. But you should know that "red" boxes are far more rare and thus more expensive. If it was up to me I'd keep it and try to find "white box".
    Order looks like 4th class but I am not sure, only difference between 4th and 5th class is that 4th is gilded.
    Also your White Eagle is made by Bertrand.

You are welcome.
    Markus showed us Bertrand's 4th class with swords here: http://gmic.co.uk/forums/topic/48267-serbia-order-of-the-white-eagle-with-swords/#comment-450044
    There you can see how the box looks like. Notice the crossed swords on the lid. Box for "regular" White Eagle is without swords and that's the only difference between them.

I forgot to mention, it's really unusual and interesting to see nurse being awarded with White Eagle with swords. Medical personal were usually awarded with Red Cross decorations, St. Sava and Charity Cross. 

It's a very interesting story. Unfortunately, none of her awards can be confirmed (other than the single BWM issued by the New Zealand Government for her time in the N.Z.A.N.S.

She was present for the retreat, also being awarded the Retreat medal.

A very interesting lady indeed!

If it is ok to post here, I could post her entire story. Perhaps you are even able to answer some of the questions about her awards!

Cheers

Grant

boat small.jpg

IMG_0606.JPG

EthelSmall.jpg

ethelsmaller.jpg

You will also notice she is wearing a Serbian cockade on her right hand side.

If it is allowed, I could post her entire story here - perhaps you would be even able to help try and confirm her awards :-)

Cheers

img897.jpg

Page 10.jpg

Well that is just amazing! She had more decorations than many officers. Interesting to see she also had Serbian miniatures, they are pretty rare and harder to find than full size orders.
    Thanks for photos! We can see that apart from White Eagle with swords she was also awarded with St. Sava, looks like 4th class (Bertrand), Albanian Retreat Medal and Serbian Order of the Red Cross (that's the one next to the Legion of Honor on 3rd photo in your previous reply). 
    Some time ago I found lists of British recipients of Serbian decorations on I think National Archives website. Copies are not very good but perhaps you can find her name there.
    Feel free to post her full story, of course it's allowed, I'm looking forward to that!