News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Grandpa's "Precious Tripod" medal

Janice Wang

Does anyone have any info on this medal? Googling helped me identify the medal name as "Order of the Precious Tripod".

My grandfather, Cheng Fu Wang, was a colonel and served in many different capacities in China before it went communist.  He was involved in defending China against the Japanese. Among other positions, he was Managing Director of the China National Aviation Corporation (CNAC).  Trained as an aeronautical engineer, he redesigned planes to enable them to fly the "hump". He himself flew the hump to prove to the pilots that it was possible with the modified planes.  The planes were used to carry war material from India to China during the war against Japan. The numerals on the back of the medal are "33". There are two red enameled stars on the face of the medal above the tripod.

(I tried to load pics that were 180k in size, but got error messages saying "max total size 2mb". My pics were were much much smaller than the limit, so I don't understand.)

(He was also awarded the "Resplendent Banner" medal.)

As with many Republican Chinese Orders the Order of the Precious Tripod came in nine classes, this piece is a Fifth class neck badge and a very early piece issued soon after the foundation of the Order in 1929.

All the best,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, as a kid,  I wore his medals on a Halloween costume and threw away the box they came in.  I only have the medals themselves-- not even the box! (I know- I was a complete idiot.)

Here's another interesting story.

During the war years, my grandparents were unable to live with each other for a period of about 9 years.  My grandpa was running a munitions factory, and moving around a lot for the war effort.  My grandmother was living in Nanjing (as in "rape of Nanjing") with her 2 boys, and working as head of Ob/Gyn in a hospital. (She was also one of the first Chinese women to obtain her MD in U of Michigan.)  One day, she received a letter from him telling her to bring the boys to Shanghai so they can meet up.  She takes the family to Shanghai and when she arrived, there was a letter waiting for her that he received orders to move on.  Of course they were disappointed, but it's a good thing they went, because during that time, the "rape of Nanjing" occurred.  So at least they were alive!

Here are pics of his "Resplendent Banner".

IMG_20150925_121817.jpg

IMG_20150925_121937.jpg

盒子和证书是最重要的组成部分,特别是证书,能证明这些勋章是亲人的最直接的证明。wang 发的云麾也是一枚早期版本的order of cloud & banner

有趣的是,云麾和宝鼎里宝鼎是有战功才会授予,档次比云麾高,希望wang能好好保存,争取能找到原始的盒子来承放。

Unfortunately, as a kid,  I wore his medals on a Halloween costume and threw away the box they came in.  I only have the medals themselves-- not even the box! (I know- I was a complete idiot.)

Thanks for posting these medals, Janice, and for the associated stories of your grandparents. It's nice to see that the medals are still in the family - even if the packaging didn't survive the journey!

Edited by Trooper_D

Boxes and certificates are the most important part , especially certificates to prove these medals are the most direct evidence of their loved ones .is a cloud colors earlier versions

Interestingly, cloud colors and Baoding in Baoding is granted only exploits , higher grade than the cloud colors , hope

Can a good save , and strive to find original box come Holds  google translate of JCs post

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...