News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWII mounted medals with a police medal

Forgive me my lack of knowlegde, but I tought all britisch medals were named and I do indeed only see the Territorial long service medal to be named on the bar.

It was 100€ euro so I bought it.

The engraving on the last medal says "T.87146 DYR.EN.NEEDS R.A.S.C."...not a clue for what it stands...!!??

On the bar it self it says "CA 2524"....

Some better shots;

brtise medal bar 001.JPG

brtise medal bar 005.JPG

brtise medal bar 007.JPG

RASC probably stands for ; The Royal Army Service Corps !?

• 1 month later...

The document is a Dutch Marriage Certificate from the Municipality of Berchem, part of southern Antwerp, for the marriage of Edwards Nicholas Deeds and a Bertha Wauters, presumably a Dutch girl, so Driver Needs brought home a war bride after his soldiering in Africa, Italy and the Netherlands.  Well done, that man!

Sadly, WWII British medals were not named.  Nor were those issued to Canadians or Aussies, I think, but South Africa and the Indian Army went the extra furlong and had them named.

Edited by peter monahan

Not to be pedantic but the last medal in the group is the Efficiency Medal.  There has never been a "Territorial Long Service Medal".  From 1908 to 1911 it was the 'Territorial Force Efficiency Medal'; from 1921 to 1930 it was the 'Territorial Efficiency Medai'.  On 17 October 1930 it was re-designated as the "Efficiency Medal' because it was awarded not only to the Territorial Army but also to the Indian Volunteer Forces and the Colonial Auxiliary Forces (i.e. to all the volunteer forces in the UK and the Commonwealth). Later it was also awarded to the T&AVR and to many officers who held Regular Army Emergency Commissions during WWII.

According to Ancestry an Edward N. Needs was born at Neath Wales in second quarter 1919 which matches well with the 10 April 1919 date of birth on his marriage certificate.

7 hours ago, peter monahan said:

The document is a Dutch Marriage Certificate from the Municipality of Berchem, part of southern Antwerp, for the marriage of Edwards Nicholas Deeds and a Bertha Wauters, presumably a Dutch girl, so Driver Needs brought home a war bride after his soldiering in Africa, Italy and the Netherlands.  Well done, that man!

Sadly, WWII British medals were not named.  Nor were those issued to Canadians or Aussies, I think, but South Africa and the Indian Army went the extra furlong and had them named.

Indeed! Sorry I should have specify that. It was just so obvious to me.

Just one rectification; there is a difference between Dutch and Flemish! ;)

Dutch is anything related to the Netherlands, Flemish is to Flanders/ Belgium.

And Berchem being part of Antwerp,like you correctly stated, makes it Flemish.

cheers

|<ris

26 minutes ago, Gunner 1 said:

Not to be pedantic but the last medal in the group is the Efficiency Medal.  There has never been a "Territorial Long Service Medal".  From 1908 to 1911 it was the 'Territorial Force Efficiency Medal'; from 1921 to 1930 it was the 'Territorial Efficiency Medai'.  On 17 October 1930 it was re-designated as the "Efficiency Medal' because it was awarded not only to the Territorial Army but also to the Indian Volunteer Forces and the Colonial Auxiliary Forces (i.e. to all the volunteer forces in the UK and the Commonwealth). Later it was also awarded to the T&AVR and to many officers who held Regular Army Emergency Commissions during WWII.

According to Ancestry an Edward N. Needs was born at Neath Wales in second quarter 1919 which matches well with the 10 April 1919 date of birth on his marriage certificate.

Not pedantic at all!

Always glad to learn. I just copied what I found on the net, during my search; without checking it.

|<

On 26-11-2015 07:56:56, Gunner 1 said:
    35 minutes ago, peter monahan said:

Kris - My bad!  I know perfectly well that Antwerp is in Belgium - I was there in June this year.

Interesting, too, that Google Translate will accept Flemish as 'Dutch' and give one a usable translation.

Hey Peter, no harm done.

Most translations will say Duth for Flemish. We are a minority and have been oppressed since ages! (lol!!)

And I don't know why I am in this frame, but I could post any other way....!?

Odd, I didn't get the impression that anyone in Antwerp was feeling oppressed, though the propriater of a book shop [Flemish] got quite shirty with me when I enquired - In French, I'm afraid - if she had any books in English or French.  I was looking for a bird guide and didn't think one in Flemish would help me much! :(

Edited by peter monahan