News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medal & Ribbon BARS - Full Size & Mini's

Have a medal or ribbon bar that includes a Victory Medal?  Let's use this topic to cover those full or miniature bars of interest.  Nothing says you can't show/discuss it under the appropriate country heading as well, just a place for those looking at bars specifically.

Enjoy!

TimB

------

Above is Tim's post starting this new topic, edited to specify that the bar can be from any country but has to include/feature a Victory Medal or ribbon. Thanks!

Hi All

This is a rare group of mini Brazilian Navy, included:

Campaign Medal 1917-1918

Victory Medal Brazil

see which also includes

30 years of military service

Order of Naval Merit (1934)

WW2 Navy War Services Medal 1942-45

WW2 - Northeast Navy Force 1942-45 (Green and White Ribbon)

WW2 - South Navy Force 1942-45 (Ribbon blue and green and white stripes)

and Order of Leopold II.

21091_copy.thumb.jpg.d34bbd11ce69ec101c1

Regards

Lambert

Edited by lambert

Full-sized group to an RA Brigadier General with a US DSM.

Pritchard, BGeen C G.pdf

A unique group to the British Army that used to be in my collection (unfortunately I never made a color photo of it):

Mundayjpeg.jpeg

Ignore the photo included in this post it was actually posted in a separate post but replaced the photo I had initially posted.  This forum has the worst setup for posting photos that I have ever encountered.  If you follow a post with an additional post it removes the photo in the first post and replaces it with the photo for the second post.  Guess I will just have to stop posting photos on this site.

Edited by Gunner 1

Lambert,

That's a great looking bar and some of those medals are quite rare in and of themselves, let alone on a mini bar!  Congrats my friend, really nice! :beer:

Tim

Peron,

I don't see any picture here?

Gunner,

Yes, I too have noticed some posting issues of recent as well, not with adding attachments so much, for me links do not post correctly and instead once the link is added to the draft block, it changes to a copy of the actual post.  Example:

Here's a sharp mini that recently ended on auction for 360. eu.  I previously posted this in the British section of Vic's and also in the Russian Imperial section on mini medals.

Can't be too many bars with a Military Cross and Russian St Anna.

Had to be an officer (Captain or below) or Warrant Officer during WW1 and specifically for bravery as it was a gallantry type award.  The St Anna Order shown is for distinguished civil service (swords for military service), so maybe a guy that help Russia in some capacity?  One would think this bar could be traced back to a known recipient.

Great bar but I can only imagine the price had it been full size!

Enjoy! :cheers:

Tim

b.jpg

Edited by Tim B

Tim,

Actually more than you think, if you add the gazetted awards to the intervention awards (many of which were not gazetted) there are many 10s of similar awards (and don't forget that group could be an RAF man who got the MC while serving with the RFC or RNAS prior to April 1918).

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, Gunner had commented in the British section where he added another example (w/swords) and gave a pretty good explanation on what happened in these cases, not only Russia.

Thank you!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is watching this auction that ends in a couple days?  Normally, I would wait until after it ends to post comments about it but have some concerns with other items listed here and thought I better comment in case someone here has their sites set on it.

Supposedly, a mini-bar attributed to Marine Corps LtG. Karl Day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Mini-Medals-WWl-WWll-Lieutenant-General-Karl-S-Day-US-Marine-Corps-/351555771479?hash=item51da5b5c57:g:JhoAAOSwT5tWJnkY

Not sure how knowledgeable the seller is here but another bar listed gives me some concerns and I know the bronze Antarctica Expedition Medal is fake, despite coming from someone's "museum" collection.  There were only 160 medals awarded (60 gold ; 50 silver; 50 bronze) before the medal was abolished.  If you look at the ribbon brooch and sew job, it looks period but the strike is that of a known reproduction.  The seller knows this and has just relisted the item without disclosing that information.  Not a good sign IMO.

Anyway, the mini looks sharp, if original, just do the homework beforehand.

Tim

LtG Karl S. Day $.jpg

Hi Tim  

It's a very good group ..

There is another sale in an Auction House. simply fabulous

"The exceedingly rare cased Japanese Medal of Merit of the Imperial Aviation Society of Japan in Gold, as awarded to Major and Lieutenant Commander B.F. Fowler A.F.C., Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Air Force, who flew as a seaplane pilot during the Great War, as one of the 30 aviators selected to instruct the fledgling Japanese Air Force in the early 1920’s. Together with recipient’s miniature medals including the Air Force Cross and the Japanese Order of the Rising Sun, 4th Class."

33669-800x800.thumb.jpg.6f119ee8c76c8031

33673-800x800.thumb.jpg.d8eef7a0648e09df

Here for your enjoyment

Cheers

Lambert

Good morning Lambert!

Very nice! I never really got into mini's per se but have seen some really nice examples over the years that I now would have liked to have had.

Here's another full size bar that I missed out on sometime back.  Was nice in that it had the New York state issued medals for WW1 and Mexican Border Service.

Tim

NY grp.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
    On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎22‎:‎52‎, lambert said:

Hi Tim  

It's a very good group ..

There is another sale in an Auction House. simply fabulous

"The exceedingly rare cased Japanese Medal of Merit of the Imperial Aviation Society of Japan in Gold, as awarded to Major and Lieutenant Commander B.F. Fowler A.F.C., Royal Naval Air Service and Royal Air Force, who flew as a seaplane pilot during the Great War, as one of the 30 aviators selected to instruct the fledgling Japanese Air Force in the early 1920’s. Together with recipient’s miniature medals including the Air Force Cross and the Japanese Order of the Rising Sun, 4th Class."

33673-800x800.thumb.jpg.d8eef7a0648e09df

Here for your enjoyment

Cheers

Lambert

Hi Lambert,

That is a fantastic miniature group and is still in such good condition.  It is a real treat to see such gems of groups.  I always believe that the quality and workmanship on such period miniatures is far and away better than anything comparable or current miniature medals.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Rob

• 2 months later...