News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bloody Sunday (1887)

Has anybody got an interest in the riots? I believe that some 2000 police were called in to deal with the rioters. That would appear to be more officers than A Division would have had, is it known where the other officers were called in from, how long did it take. Would it be possible to confirm an officer involvement in it?

It would be helpful if you were to indicate which city/town you are referring to. Riots were quite frequent in the UK during and before Victoria's reign (and indeed since). I know of at least three such events in different parts of the UK which occurred on a Sunday and were later referred to as "Bloody Sunday".

Dave

The Times Newspaper of the 1st December reports on a subsequent trail of a Mr. Cunninghame Graham an M.P and John Burns  an engineer, which was held at Bow-street Police-court, so I would suggest that Officers from C Division may have been involved? Three Officers are reported as giving evidence during the trail -  Inspector Collis, S Division, who was on mounted duty in Trafalgar-square on the Sunday afternoon in question, gave evidence that he was in charge of eight men. Also Superintendent Sheppard of B Division and Superintendent Brennan, L Division also gave evidence.

My understanding is that `meetings` have been taking place for sometime, prior to the 13th November, so I would assume that Officers had been on standby for these `meetings` should things get out of hand. These Officers, I further assume would have come from pretty much any/every Division in the form of mutual aid?

As to confirming an Officers involvement in the riots, I would assume court records would list cases regarding those arrested on the 13th, but whether these survive to this day I do not know.