News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

It is very common.  Also three units.  This came about because most men were discharged after the end of the German South West Africa campaign in 1915.  They then joined units that fought in German East Africa in 1916 onwards, where many were invalided with malaria.  Back in South Africa they could then join another unit to fight in Europe in 1917/8.

Brett

That would be a war to tell the grandkids about!  Completely different from the mess on the Western Front for the most aprt but probably just as nasty in its way, as I suspect the casualties due to sicknes outweighed those actually shot or shelled.  Interesting group. 

Lambert

The recipient's service papers are available from the South African Archives. Contact South African Researcher Dewald Nel dewald@nelantiques.co.za who should be able to retrieve the record for you. Obviously there is a fee. He does my South African Navy research & I would highly recommend him.

Adrian 

• 11 months later...