News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Sud-West Afrika Schutztruppen Mounted Equipment

Guys,

I am going to pose a question here, and there are probably about three people in the whole world who will be able to help.  I have posted on pickelhaubes.com and WAF and q forum member suggested posting it here.  

I have a set of what I believe is a set of Imperial German Schutztruppen Mounted Equipment for the Sud-West Afrika Protection Force. It almost, but not quite, identical to my other set of Schutztruppen Mounted Equipment. I have photgraphed them together for comparison purposes.
    The lighter colored set of leather equipment is 100% Mounted Pattern Equipment, depicted in Jurgen Kraus book on The German Colonial Troops, and on several websites devoted to the Schutztruppen.

The darker colored set is the one for which I am seeking more understanding.
    Points of comparison:
    •    They both use exactly the same number and configuration of ammunition pouch, each with a snap closure and a retention strap. 
    •    They both have cross over shoulder straps, with  each shoulder strap having an extra ammo pouch
    •    They both have an integrated bayonet frog designed for a German Mauser bayonet
    Points of difference:
    •    The official pattern uses a single broad waist belt. The dark set waist belt separates into two narrower straps for the buckles
    •    The official pattern has the bayonet frog on the left hip.  The dark set has it on the right hip
    •    The official pattern has the two additional ammo pouches on the front. The dark set has them on the rear.
    •    Other differences are minor and are mainly concerned with how the leather components are riveted or stitched together.
    The official pattern was designed to buckled at the rear, so the six ammo pouches were the front, plus the two additional pouches on the shoulder straps, with the bayonet on the left hip, as depicted in the photo.
    The dark set would make sense if it was worn reversed - buckled at the front - which would place four belt ammo pouches at the front, plus the two on the shoulder straps, with six more ammo pouches at the back and the bayonet still on the left hip. I have never seen a set of mounted equipment worn in this way, nor is it referenced in any text book.

Can anyone assist in identifying the dark pattern leather  equipment??

IMG_9871.jpg
    IMG_9872.jpg
    IMG_9873.jpg
    IMG_9875.jpg
    IMG_9876.jpg
    IMG_9878.jpg
    IMG_9880.jpg
    schutz.jpg

Hi Flashie!

A very tough call indeed... I believe there were 2 variations, and I could quite believe that for a reason best known to Buddah that they may have changed the strap, from 2 buckles to a thick one.

What does confuse me is the bayonet. Usually a country has a certain side they are worn on.... its a small thing, but it makes me wonder if it was not German made for a foreign market?

Who was using Mausers between the Boer war and 1914? South Africa did not use these... Maybe something South American with mounted troops? Argentina or something?

Best

Chris

Chris, 

Very interesting. Someone on another forum suggested Mexican, so that is two votes for Latin American.  I know very little of Latin American military history and uniforms, and I have no references and there doesn't seem to be much on the internet. 

Given that it almost, but not quite, identical configuration to the DSWA mounted equipment, I had assumed German. Anyone else out there with more ideas?

Edited by Flasheart

Hi,

its hard enough findng German SWA Info, South America is close to impossible.

It may be something other than South America, but that region bought lots of mausers and rode lots of horses... so at best an educated guess. Mexico would probably fit just as well.

I think it is German made.

Are there no stamps at all?

At a guess I'd say it's for mounted troops, I've seen those double buckle jobs before but can't remember for what. I once had a German Africa tunic and trousers but could never find the rest of the gear to build up a mannequin, so let it go. It's a tough collecting area imo. I love the belts shown, they are in wonderful condition.

Eric

• 9 months later...

Hello Perhaps is argentine , the Ejercito Argentino tested the exact thing circa 1924 when a new field uniform was adopted . at these time the service weapon was the Mauser modelo argentino 1909 a variant of the 1898 and the bayonet was too a german one . Our cavalry was numerous in 1924 , twelve regiments (the infantry numeres 24 ) but the correaje (textual ) tested was not adopted and I only knew one photo Bayern