News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Willy II promotion to Field Marshal

This may not be the proper forum but I can't find one more suitable:   Wilhelm II was promoted (!) Field Marshal in 1900;   What army rank did he hold at the time of his promotion?

His father Friedrich III had been a Field Marshal, promoted after his victory at Sedan in the Franco-Prussian War but his grandfather, Wilhelm I, had never assumed that rank, remaining a Colonel General with the rank of Field Marshal, wearing the crossed batons with three gold four pointed stars (pips) within the arms of the batons.

Well, OK. There's the rationale for posting in this forum: 'Rank insignia, wearing of'.

Anyone?

What year was that?   I would guess he did 'progress through the (officer) ranks', ending with the 'political' self-promotion to field marshal in 1900.   I am interested to find out if he ever held the rank, like his grandfather, whom he revered, of 'Colonel General with the rank of Field Marshal'  or 'Generaloberst als Charakter von Generalfeldmarschall' I believe it is in German.

Edited by filfoster

• 3 weeks later...

Before Wilhelm II became the German emperor, he had a normal for its position as crown prince military career:

1869, January 27 Leutnant

1876, March 22 Oberleutnant

1880, March 22 Hauptmann

1885, September 16 Oberst

At Least Wilhelm II was promoted on January 27 in 1888 Major General, comanding the 2nd Garde Infantry Brigade.

Titles and Rangs of Wilhelm II.

Edited by Hermann

Never seen any image of Kaiser Wilhelm II wearing the rank badges of a Generaloberst. He is most commonly seen wearing the two stars of a General der Infanterie/Kavallerie prior to his assumption of GFM Rank insignia.

Regards

Glenn

2 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Never seen any image of Kaiser Wilhelm II wearing the rank badges of a Generaloberst. He is most commonly seen wearing the two stars of a General der Infanterie/Kavallerie prior to his assumption of GFM Rank insignia.

Regards

Glenn

This is where it stands now.  Agree the photos show only these two ranks, as best I can see from enlargements. He could have gone 12 years from general-major to full general.

It is puzzling he wasn't a general-oberst as he commanded larger formations in the annual maneuvers (which, from reading some histories, were fraught with peril for 'opposing' commanders, much like having to let your boss beat you at golf), which would have normally rated the senior general rank..

Edited by filfoster

Wilhelm did not need the rank of a colonel general. He was the Kaiser.

He was never promoted German Field Marshal or Germann Grand Admiral. Who should appoint him?  He just put on the uniform. 

On May 4, 1900 awarded the Austrian emperor Franz Josef Wilhelm II. the title (not a military rang) of an Austrian Field Marshal. 

All,

According to the Stammliste of the 1. GRzF p. 44

"03. Mai 1900 die Gradabzeichen eines General-Feldmarchalls angelegt."  On 3 May 1900 put on the rank insignia of a GFM.

Andy

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎41‎:‎48‎, arb said:

All,

According to the Stammliste of the 1. GRzF p. 44

"03. Mai 1900 die Gradabzeichen eines General-Feldmarchalls angelegt."  On 3 May 1900 put on the rank insignia of a GFM.

Andy

According to the Verlag book 'Die Deutschen Generale', he accepted in 1900, the nomination made 'in the name of the Army' (I'm sure no politicking was involved...) to promote himself to Field Marshal. My question was what rank did he hold when he 'accepted' this honor?  A Rank List from 1899-if it exists- would be helpful.

Edited by filfoster

17 hours ago, Glenn J said:

An 1899 Rangliste does of course exist. however, it will not help you as the King and Emperor is not listed with a specific rank, only as Chief (Chef) of the Army.

Regards

Glenn

Dang!  If this is so, then there is only photographic evidence and whatever may be found in biographies or histories of the period. I haven't found anything that adds much, yet.  Thanks to all who have contributed. At this point, it seems that he exchanged the two pips of a full general for the crossed batons of a field marshal in 1900, without an intervening time when he wore the insignia of a Colonel General (three pips) or a Colonel General with the rank of Field Marshal (crossed batons and three pips).

Edited by filfoster

You could contact the staff of the Museum Huis Doorn, in The Netherlands.

Here Wilhelm II lived in exile until his death; he was burried there. He arriverd with 60 train waggons to settle in this tiny castle.

The museum has a vast collection of documents, uniforms, orders, etc. and also many portraits and photo albums, digitalized (note the link below).

http://www.huisdoorn.nl/nl/

http://fotocollectie.huisdoorn.nl/

https://nl-nl.facebook.com/museumhuisdoorn/

img090.jpg

img091.jpg