News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zulu Iwisa - a gift from my aunt

Friends,

I'm new to this forum, just finding it tonight whilst attempting to learn about what i believe to be a zulu iwisa I was given from my aunt.  She says it was purchased from a scottish estate sale at a castle several years ago. my aunt is not available at this time, so i  cant ask the details, but i will, eventually. i've been conducting some research myself, but there's not much online past a basic identification.

my initial thought is that it's a zulu war bring back and has sat in the same place until sold.  if i can reasonably date it, i'd like to put it up with my martini henrys.  the wood is very hard, but i cant identify it.  it also looks to have shrunk a small bit, allowing the copper band to slide up and there are a few cracks in the striking head. the head also has a small flat, as if someone wanted to keep it from rolling along the wall.  the shaft has some curvature, most likely from hanging on a wall for a bit. 

i've been told that some can identify the make and period by the copper braids and the shape.  if anyone can help, i'd be grateful.  the club means a lot to me, coming as a gift from my aunt and there's few that even know what it is, much less knowledgeable of the object.

best regards,  johnny

20151105_084415.thumb.jpg.c9d5934f36854d

20151107_183306.thumb.jpg.1c90a4cb6952b7

20151107_183235.thumb.jpg.d385c7415e3e4c

Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the forum. You indeed have a Zulu fighting club known as a Knobkerie or (as you know) also called an Iwsia. Our late club member Mervyn Mitton wrote extensively on Zulu weaponry and his work can be found on another section of the forum.  I would think it would go very well with your Martini Henry and would have no hesitation in displaying them together.

Regards

Brian