News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch helmet?

Hello all, 

Found this M1 clone. The liner were over painted and used as carneval hat. 

After cleaning the liner is white and have a crowned blue anchor at the front. 

I Saw similar helmets used by the royal dutch marines (koninklijke mariniers)

Maybe some here has a clue for me 

Have a nice Day 

Stefan 

_20151109_110752.JPG

_20151109_110817.JPG

Dutch Naval Police and Security Units, not Royal Netherlands Marines.

This civilian organisation was named Marine Bewakingskorps (Naval Security Corps) or Werf Politie (Dockyard Police). I have seldom seen them wear white helmets, however.

A similar type of helmet, but with red band, red anchor flanked by the letters M P (for Marine Patrouille) were used by members of the the Shore Patrols. These patrols were composed of Marines, and they patroled in Den Helder (the principal Dutch naval base) in the weekends, and when a squadron for the Stanaforlant or other large numbers of sailors were in town. These Shore Patrols only had jurisdiction over military personnel, and they had to maintain order and to see that after tattoo all shipmates returned to their ships and barracks. They operated in teams of 3 or 4 under a corporal, armed with truncheon and pistol. Dressed in the blue battledress, with white webbing and gaiters.

Below pictures of the Marines Shore Patrol and their helmet.

Marine Patrouille.gif

Marine patrouille helm.jpg

Thank you very much. I found that helmet and photo to. But i wonder why just an anchor and why blue. 

I found a recruting Poster from the mariniers with that helmet - thats why i thought it was maybe such a helmet 

resolve.jpg

_20151109_121034.JPG

And here a similar oneSteel helmet and liner - but its Green with a yellow anchor 

ee67215acf-Pics Helmen-3--Krijgsmacht-Gevechtshelmen-m1-Buitenhelmen-KM-Mariniersbrigade-310120113535.jpg

4913fa781b-Pics Helmen-3--Krijgsmacht-Gevechtshelmen-m1-Binnenhelmen-KM-Mariniersbrigade-310120113528.jpg

The green steel helmet was most probably used by personnel of the the ship's landing divisions. Before 1940, a Dutch type steel helmet was worn, differing from the army type (which had an oval plate with embossed lion at the front), when used by marines, a metal anchor and crown was placed at the front, but for naval landing parties, the anchor was painted in yellow. During the war this helmet became obsolete, and crews of the Dutch Navy ships which operated from England and Australia used the British helmets. When ships were leased from the US Navy, they came fully equipped, with USN life jackets and steel helmets.

Dutch Marines were employed on a Brigade level after 1945, during the Indonesian uprising and War of Independence (1945-1950). Their combat uniform was identical to the USMC, but for the breast pocket badge. Their helmets worn on shore showed no insignia.

• 7 years later...