News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Officers Long Service Medals / Onderscheidingsteken voor Langdurige Dienst als officier

Please find attached two examples for

1. 20 years (1844 model)
    2. 40 years (1866 model)

The second piece was produced by the widow Moussault (Amsterdam). Given that it can only have been made between 1866 and 1869 there should not be too many around.

Has anyone information about rarity and prices?

P1040048.JPG

P1040049.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

The type 1 does turn up occasionally and is quite scarce and ought to be worth 150 euros or so.

The Moussault piece is amazing I have never encountered one in over 30 years, it should be worth considerably more than type 1 piece.

Paul

XL years long service as an officer is not unusual to some field officers. In the Army Lists of the 19th century most generals have served 35+ years, but 40 years is about the maximum. When an officer was holding a honorary position (as a committee member of an AdC to the King/Queen) the years served after pensionig in the honorary capacity counted furter. I have seen one cross bearing the digit LX (for 60 years), in a private collection.

Note the enclosed page from the 1890 Army List, the numerals in brackets are for the Officer's Long Service Decoration.

img284.jpg

Edited by Odulf