News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Last airship shot down?

Hello,

I've just realised that a photo of an airship I have had for the last 5 or 6 years has the number L70.

I've done a quick search in the net and it appears the pilot who shot it down was the heir to Cadbury's chocolate.

Was this the last, or one of the last airships to be shot down by the RAF?

Tony

Guest Rick Research

I don't know about ARMY airships, but according to the Marine Ehrenrangliste 1914-1918 (1930) and the 1928 Handbuch des Marine-Offizier-Verbandes (Directory of M.O.V. members) which lists fates of all naval airship officers and Beamten,

"L 70" (commander was Commander of Naval Airships FregattenKapit?n zS Peter Strasser) was the NEXT to last naval airship lost, on 6 August 1918, over King's Lynn.

The final naval loss was "L 53" (commander Korvettenkapit?n zS dR Eduard Pr?lss) shot down on 11 August 1918 by an English plane near Terschelling.

Edited by Rick Research