News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Introduction

WPS2018

Hi guys!

I'm an American member who is currently an undergrad studying the Middle East. Although I'm not new to collecting (been at it for about 4 years now), I am, however, new to Middle East militaria. Just recently I decided to sell a large part of my collection to obtain funds to refocus on M.E militaria.

My interest ranges from the British Invasion of Egypt in 1882 all the way to present. However, my primary area of interests are the British Mandates of Iraq and Palestine, Arab-Israeli Wars, Iran-Iraq War, Desert Storm, OEF, and OIF.

However, at this present time I'm focusing on campaign medals and ribbons from Middle East countries, most notably the Arab-Israeli Wars (1948, '56, '67, '73, and '82). Along with campaign medals from any conflict within the region. 

Later on I'm going to focus on British and French medals and other items.

Unfortunately, since I'm new, I'm not well connected with dealers and have no idea where to find this stuff. Is anyone willing to give me recomendations?

Thanks!

- Nick

Nick, Welcome to the world of Arab awards - I've been at it for over 27 years and it remains a frustrating field - there are not many of us! Your options are auction houses, a few dealers and of course E-Bay - some are not keen on the latter but to be fair I have had a modest degree of success with E-Bay and without wishing to tempt fate no real problems. This forum is about as good as it gets and fellow members are always ready to share knowledge. Good luck, Owain

Welcome to this little corner of the hobby, Nick!

Owain is right on the mark (as usual) that Ebay usually is the easiest and most reliable souce... Sometimes it helps to be creative with search terms and categories, as sellers may not necessarily know what they have. So you can find bargains and serendipitous surprises. This is of course a symptom of there being few references for Middle Eastern militaria, so this hobby can be frustrating.

Of course, if your studies take you to the Middle East, the souks and bazaars always offer enjoyable experiences.

Best of luck and enjoy,

Chris

Thanks guys! I've had some beginners luck with a medal site I was referred to, got almost every 1948 Palestine medal (although I'm hoping to get the 1st type of Egypt's medal). eBay is pretty promising, got a few good items heading my way. It appears this new hoppy will be challenging, but totally rewarding!

I'm spending my summer on the West Bank and next academic year in Jordan. Hoping I can find some things when I'm over there.

- Nick