News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New painting

Bear

Hey guys...  Thanks Chris....  I think the painting is from t850 -19 something.  I don't think it's period...   I wish...  it shows Pen & ink... Perfect...  & thanks Chris & Paul...  It looks like caffarilli...

caffarelli.jpg

000_3596.JPG

• 5 months later...

Never seen this before but it looks to me like a tri-colour turban around the bicorne. You can see from the painting that one side of his bicorne is turned down. Perhaps staff at Les Invalides could assist? The chapeau looks more like an Austrian jaeger or landwehr hat than a bicorne. 

colin

Edited by ColinRF

Been talking with a very knowledgeable German fella on a modeling forum and his response - before seeing photo's - is below.

I hope after he sees the photo's he might have more to say.....

Cheers
    Larry

It sounds like a revolutionary time one, around 1794 stovepipes and other hats with a tricolor slung around or a band had been common. Worn with standard blue French uniform

The Paris National guard was the most prominent unit wearing that style. On champ der mar even ladies wore such dress, training with pikes. A famous contemporary print show that.

regards
    Karsten[/quote]

Edited by Laurence Strong

And his response after seeing the photo's

Cheers

Larry

Yes, he is an officer of the revolutionary forces of the 90's . It seems to be a heap of feathers on his hat, that was common in that time. He may be from land or sea service, if he has anchors on the collar dog or buttons it would be clear. The sword is typical for the 1790's. Straight one for an infantry or naval officer, not heavy enough for Dragoons or heavy cavalry and not curved for light.
    So a naval captain or an infantry staff officer. He lacks the laurel worn by generals and higher staff so no high brass.
    He has no tricolour rosette at the head. I'm not sure about the one he wears, the device in centre looks like a silver star? May be an Italian serving as ally?

Hope that helps a little bit
    Cheers
    Karsten

Thanks Colin & Larry.  I've been searching bicorne hats most of the day with no luck.  The closest was a consular hat with a similar design.  Thanks again for the info.  I'll keep searching and will post back if I find anything.

thanks barry

Top Hat

d0d2aec362aeaa6594d76e8dab383ed8.jpg

• 1 month later...