News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Arabic award or just a decoration?

It's from Egypt. The front says "Governorate of Fayoum" (province in Egypt) on the eagle, with the symbol of the province (water wheel). I can't see what the inscription on top says, could you take a closer picture? The reverse says "With kindest wishes (regards), Governorate of Fayoum". The case has the name of the manufacturer (a jeweler or silversmith): Habib Mikha'il Habib, 7 Maksar el Khashab Street, in El Mouski (area of old Cairo), Telephone Number: 9023939". Based on the two stars, I think this is the period of the United Arab Republic, (1958 - 1971). It's not from the present also, because landline phone numbers in Cairo are much longer now :)

If I could read the inscription above the eagle I could tell for sure what it says.

Thank You very much for Your answer. Sorry, but I only have photos of this quality. I received an offer to buy, but don't know about price and rarity of the subject. Was the opinion that this is rare Iraq award, but I doubt, therefore, I asked. Thanks.

e498d63af28c12ebc910890355f1-orig.jpg

I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that it is what the French call, I believe, a 'table award': a legitimate government award for some kind of service to the state but not a military award and obviously not meant to be worn.  Many countries have them, for industry, arts and letters and so on.  As such, they tend to be less valuable than military awards and much less well documented.

All that said, this looks to be a well made [and very attractive] piece, so it might be worth your while to look out someone who deals in coins and so on from that part of the world to get a better idea of exactly what it is and whether its valuable.  Not sure where you're located in the EU but many large cities will have specialty shops which deal with things Arabic.

Hope this is some small help.

I think this is an award from the provincial administration of el Fayoum. My grandfather had similar awards of similar quality from the governorate of Dumiat (Damietta) and from the Ministry of Social Affairs. It's governmental of course (as in, not a privately issued award) but I don't think it would have as much value as a military medal or an order. It's a nice piece, but I don't think it's very valuable. 

18 hours ago, Egyptian Zogist said:

My grandfather had similar awards of similar quality from the governorate of Dumiat (Damietta) and from the Ministry of Social Affairs. 

Any idea what he did to earn these awards?  Was he a civil servant, a scholar, or some other person of note?  Just curious. :)