News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GB Div Patch ID and Opinions Please

Hi, Can anyone out there ID the Div Patch in the photos please?  I would also be very interested in your opinions regarding its originality if possible?  Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks, regards and best wishes, Oh and Happy New  Michael

0 (1).JPG

0 (2).JPG

0 (3).JPG

Michael, I can’t help with the patch but did see a new book on ebay called WWII British Formation Badges Collector’s Guide by Bruno Boulanger. Although I don’t really collect WWII I’ve heard it’s a pretty good reference book but I can't  compare it to the book Hugh mentioned. At least there's a choice of books.

Tony  

Thank you very much Hugh and Tony for your input and suggestions!!!  The badge has me flummoxed and I have had two suggestions as to its authenticity.  One saying categorically wrong and one saying the opposite 100% right??? 

With thanks, regards and best wishes the New Year  Michael

Now this is really off the wall and very obscure, but...Kipling's Kim referred to a red bull as related to a regiment from Tyrone.  I wonder if there might be some connection with an Irish formation?  All right, you may start giggling now.  

H

Intersting notion!  And, no not giggling at all.  OTOH, Kipling was very careful to refer to the regiments in his stories by either clearly fictional names - The Princess Hohenzoolern's Fore and Fit Infantry - or unoffcial nicknames such as 'The Holy Chrisitians', which moniker was I believe meant to refer to one of the Guards battalions who went to India in the 1880s after 60 years home service.  So, I suspect that the regimental standard of the 'Black Tyrones'  was meant to be unlike any actual regiment's crest.

[See, dear, all those hours spent reading Kipling in university, instead of writing essays, did finally pay off! ;) ]

Point well taken, Peter.  But I wonder if there is a red bull anywhere in an Irish regiment's history.  On the other hand, Cole's book refers to three formations using back bulls, none of which remotely resembles the picture shown.  

it is the flash for 31st Independent infantry brigade, 1940 pattern, which after it underwent training for mountain warfare in India, it was transferred to 1st Airborne Division and was renamed 1st Airlanding brigade group.  The paper backing is not something I have seen on any of the WWII patches I own, otherwise I could not say if it is good or not.

4 hours ago, Jerry B said:

it is the flash for 31st Independent infantry brigade, 1940 pattern, which after it underwent training for mountain warfare in India, it was transferred to 1st Airborne Division and was renamed 1st Airlanding brigade group.  The paper backing is not something I have seen on any of the WWII patches I own, otherwise I could not say if it is good or not.

Good catch, Jerry.  It is indeed in Col. Cole's book (p. 128).  I must have flipped right past it.  Apologies to all.

H

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,  Please accept my thanks and best wishes for taking the time to give advice and references for the Div Badge.  I am very grateful for it's identification and can only hope that it is original as it is not a manufacturing technique that I have come across so whether that is a good thing or a bad thing I am not too sure.  Anyway, thank you all once again.

Regards and best wishes Michael R