News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Füsilier-Regiment Königin (Schleswig-Holsteinisches) Nr. 86

• 1 year later...
    • 1 year later...

Hello! I was wondering if anyone interested in this regiment might be able to tell me a little about this item. I received a silver tumbler as a gift as a child from an elderly neighbor, but she didn't tell me much about it except that it came "from her late husband's family." It looks to me like a presentation tumbler in coated silver to a Oberleutnant von der Heyden from the 86th Regiment. It has the entwined V A surmounted with a crown on one side, and the other it has written (in German) "the officer corps of the Queen's Fusilier Regiment Schleswig-Holstein 86 honors its comrade" and is dated 1897-1899.  Is anyone aware of a source I could consult to find von der Heyden? My German is very limited, I can read French and Italian if helpful. 

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Shancis,

The officer in question is Ludwig von der Heyden.  He was born 26 Aug 1869 in Itzehoe.  He entered the Prussian army on 28. Sep 1889 in Infantry Regiment 82 and was  promoted ensign on 17 Apr 1890 and Second Lieutenant on 18 Jan 1891.  He transferred to Fusileer Regiment 86 on 10 Sep 1897 and was promoted first Lieutenant on 18 Apr 1899.  He left the army as a "partial invalid" on 16 Dec 1899 and was transferred to the Landwehr, a home guard of sorts.  The tumbler you have was most likely given to him when he left the regiment, and your dates fit nicely with those listed here.

As of November 1903 he was a salesman living in Hamburg, Ferdinand Straße 38/40.  IN 1911 he is noted as living in America.

A quick search on ancestry revealed that he became a US citizen on 14 Nov 1940, at the age of 71.  His address at the time was 103-13 29th Ave East Elmhurst, NY.  The 1930 US census lists him in Queens as an oil salesman and his wife's name as Anna.  It also states he arrived in the US around 1904.  He died 05 May 1946 in Queens.

Andy

Dear Andy, 

Thank you for answering my question so thoroughly! The biography makes sense, my late neighbor's husband was of German descent and came from Elmhurst, NY. It is a touching reminder for me of a personal friendship with them, but it is also nice to now know the history of the tumbler itself. 

Sincerely,
    Sean20180925_103907.jpg20180925_103849.jpg