News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Service Medal Clasp Questions

Hi guys!

I'm starting to collect British General Service Medals that have clasps pertaining to operations in the Middle East and S.E Asia.

I made my first purchase (which I will post on this forum upon its arrival!:D), however, I am curious to know the rarity of these clasps and the amount that were awarded (if applicable)

- Persian Gulf 1909-1914

- N.W Persia

- S Persia

- Kurdistan

- N Kurdistan

- Iraq

- Southern Desert Iraq

- South Arabia/Arabian Peninsula

- Rafdan

- Dhofar

And feel free to fill in on other claps as well

A GSM with NW Persia clasp to a Captain, Royal Artillery.  Only 11 RA officers received this as a single clasp.

GSM NW Persia.jpg

Group to a Royal Artillery officer with GSM and clasp South Persia.  Only 15 RA officers received this clasp.

S Persia clasp.jpg

Pair to a Royal Artillery Lieutenant with a GSM with Iraq and Kurdistan clasp.  Only two GSMs with this clasp composition were awarded to RA officers.

Iraq Kurd.jpg

A number of the bars were awarded largely to Indian Army troops.  The S. Persia, for example, is known to three Indian infantry units, 30 Squadron RAF and a handful of British officesr and NCOs.  The N. Kurdistan was awarded only to Iraq levies and 3 RAF squadrons, while the Iraq bar [1919-1920] was the only one awarded in large numbers, to members of three infantry divisions - about 2/3 Indian and 1/3 British, roughly - plus a Cavalry brigade and support and Lof C troops, so likely a couple thousand bars in all.  

My copy of Gordon's Battles and Medals [1962 edition] lists units for the bars but says in most cases that the lists are incomplete.  Not sure what other sources would be better.

The medal rolls for all British Army recipients of clasps to the GSM up through Palestine 1945-48 are available for free download on the TNA website (as are all of the clasps to British Army recipients for the IGSM 1908 and IGSM 1936-39).

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 04:07, QSAMIKE said:

I understand that the Southern Desert Iraq is very rare to the Royal Air Force.......

Mike

Even rarer5694e0c0ad058_SouthernDesertObverse.thum5694e05850a95_SouthernDesertNaming.thumb to the 3/5th Mahratta Light Infantry. Which I am fortunate to own.

Paul

Here is his MIC

MIC Maruti Patne.jpg