News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Major Arthur Hornby Astley Corkran Arbuthnot

Recent eBay purchase; Single WW1 British war medal to Major Arthur Hornby Astley Corkran Arbuthnot, entitled to the Queens South Africa with four clasps (missing medal) served with the 3rd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders attached 3rd Battalion Highland Light Infantry; 
    (S. African War, 1902 - Operations in the Transvaal and Orange River Colony, Mar to 31st May, 02. Operations in Cape Colony, Jan to Mar 02. Queen's Medal with 4 clasps).

He is also noted as being on the British North Borneo Company Mat Salleh expedition (December 1899 a company expedition attacked Mat Salleh's fort at Tambunan. At noon on 31 December 1899, a chance shot from a Maxim gun hit killed Mat Salleh) if any one has any more information on this please let me know!

From February 1916 he was Captain and Adjutant of the 76th Canadian Overseas Battalion and then Major of the 169th Battalion (109th Regiment), CEF, service in England. He is noted as formally serving with the 33rd Battery Canadian Field Artillery prior to him joining the 76th 

Arthur Hornby Astley Corkran Arbuthnot was born on March 6, 1879, in Mullingar, Westmeath, Ireland, the child of James A C and Mary. He married Alice Maude Johnston on September 3, 1913. They had one child during their marriage. He is noted being a chartered accountant, he died on July 8, 1929, at the age of 50. 

Interestingly on the QSA medal roll he is listed as "A C Arbuthnot"
    in 1914 an "A C Arbuthnot" served as a Volunteer driver with No 1 Ambulance British Red Cross in France from 8th October 1914 to April 1915...??? 

Arbuthnot1.jpg

Arbuthnot2.jpg

Arbuthnot3.jpg

Arbuthnot4.jpg

Arbuthnot5ab.gif

Arbuthnot6.JPG

arbuthnot6.gif

Edited by dante

Fascinating.  One wonders when he made the 'jump' to Canada and, evn more intriguing, whether he is the same man as the volunteer ambulance driver, in which case he's be entitled to a 1914 or 1914-15 Star as well in all likelihood.  It appears that he married only in 1913 [in Toronto] so that doesn't help.

• 2 weeks later...

My research has taken a unusual direction, firstly the man I thought served in South Africa was not him (see below)

I have been in-touch with the "Arbuthnot" family archivist and I quote "I can’t find Arthur’s birth, or his parent’s marriage, or any siblings". 

Further his 1929 grave registration ;"I did find this which gives his birth as England. Ormby is Hornby".

Arthur Ormby Arbuthnot
    Ontario, Toronto Trust Cemeteries
    Name Arthur Ormby Arbuthnot
    Event Type Burial
    Event Date 10 Jul 1929
    Event Place Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Age 50
    Birth Year (Estimated) 1879
    Birthplace England
    Cemetery Mount Pleasant Cemetery
    Cemetery Section and Lot 12 3 20
    Plot Owner's Name Maud Alice Arbuthnot
    Relative's Name M A Arbuthnot
    Relative's Address 31 Pretoria Ave Toronto
    Page 238
    Volume Date Range Volume 04, 1920-1931

The Archivist goes on to say; 
    "I’m beginning to think he made the name up. All the evidence can only have been supplied by him. There is no evidence he existed before the marriage in 1913.
    No birth, no parent’s marriage, no siblings and none of them are in any census in England or Ireland.
    Same with his military history, nothing confirmed pre 1913".

His Canadian documents are on line but give no pre 1913 information, his engagement details are below...a Mystery!! 

Welcome your thoughts

arbathnotq.PNG

a12a.PNG