News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BGS photo album 1957 ish

John,

I will continue to rake through the recently departed folks belongings in the hope of saving some history.  Family seem less interested in these sort of things these days.  I wonder what the future holds, will people be able to buy your internet logs when you pass?

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff Jock.  I wonder why the BGS maintained the WW2 German style of uniforms while the other services did their best to reimage their military appearance?  Do you know?

Paul,

No idea why, perhaps it happened natuarally as it is the earliest 'paramilitary/police force' formed after the war and perhaps existing production lines were still geared toward that style?  When the BW was formed they had had more time to think about it and actively sought to destroy any military traditions or links to the past.

On 2/3/2016 at 06:17, Jock Auld said:

Glad its of interest.  The reverse of the Press shot of the parade states General Müller?  Looks like he served WW2 judging by the ribbon bar.

There was a BGS General Heinrich Muller who served in North Africa during WW II.  General Muller led BGS efforts in the "Battle of Gorleben" to confirm West Germany's right to survey parts of the Elbe River in spite of communist East German interference. 

That's generous of you, Jock -- I'd love to have 'em but got rid of nearly all my collections a few years ago & don't want to start over at my age.  Thank you.

Everyone on this page will probably recognize that at least one (& perhaps more) of the photos are of men wearing Bundesheer rather than BGS uniforms.

Hi Long Thrust VI,

"Everyone on this page will probably recognize that at least one (& perhaps more) of the photos are of men wearing Bundesheer rather than BGS uniforms."

I don't see any "Bundesheer" uniform. Bundesheer is the Austrian Army.

But I can see some uniforms from Heer and Luftwaffe of the German Bundeswehr.

Uwe

7 hours ago, Long Thrust VI said:

That's generous of you, Jock -- I'd love to have 'em but got rid of nearly all my collections a few years ago & don't want to start over at my age.  Thank you.

Everyone on this page will probably recognize that at least one (& perhaps more) of the photos are of men wearing Bundesheer rather than BGS uniforms.

To be sure there are a couple of non BGS but it is a family album/effects.  I see one photo with two couples (wedding?) and I suppose the Bund army lad could be a relation, brother perhaps since both are on the photo in their respective uniforms?  I did not point it out as it is pretty obvious but you make a clear point.  

It's never too old to have a hobby, hell, it is almost essential the older one gets, if you do start to re-collect something then let me know and I will keep my eyes open!

Best Regards

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen,

I know there were plenty of German Cross in Gold holders that severed in the BGS. It will be petty interesting to see photographs of Wehrmacht veterans serving with the BGS wearing their German WWII medals or ribbons on their uniforms.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao