News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Easy one first: Oberstabsarzt Dr. Ernst Grimm of 4. GRzF. The Konstanz portrait is probably Oberstabsarzt 2. Klasse Dr. Jakob v. Kranz, Regimental medical officer of I.R. 114 in 1888. 

Regards

Glenn

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful photos but for identification purposes the combination of an EK2 70w and a KDM 70-71 is just too generic on the uniform of a medical officer or subalternbeamte. I have a couple of suspects for #29 as the combination of an EK2 70w and an ME2 for an infantry officer is in fact rather rare. I want to dig around a little more on him.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Rick,

the Bavarian medical officer at post #34 can realistically only be one individual. If we assume that the medal in position one is a Bavarian Militär-Sanitäts-Ehrenzeichen and given it's position in the Bavarian precedence, that is all it can be.This photograph must have been taken sometime between 1871 and 1873 (when new pattern uniforms based on the Prussian model were introduced). Having trawled through just under 250 Bavarian medical officers, both active and Landwehr in 1871, then this is Regimentsarzt 2, Classe Dr. Julius Stein (1822-1908)  of 6. Chevaulegers-Regiment Großfürst Constantin Nikolaiewitsch.

Regards

Glenn

The gentleman in post #28 is a senior military official of the intendance branch. Note the none reflective embossed "half-moons" on the epaulettes. These chaps were employed normally on corps and often on divisional staffs. Having checked those assigned to the headquarters of IV. Armee-Korps and 7. Division in Magdeburg throughout the period 1871-1890, only one individual is in the frame: Militär-Intendanturrat Reinhard Bredow on the intendance staff of IV. Armee-Korps in 1873 (promoted to that rank in that year). He is the only subject with just an EK2 70w listed (campaign medals not being listed in the Prussian army lists).

Regards

Glenn

On 5.3.2016 at 04:35, Stogieman said:

and another

1870NCEK2part9.jpg

38 minutes ago, Glenn J said:

Hi Rick,

the Bavarian medical officer at post #34 can realistically only be one individual. If we assume that the medal in position one is a Bavarian Militär-Sanitäts-Ehrenzeichen and given it's position in the Bavarian precedence, that is all it can be.This photograph must have been taken sometime between 1871 and 1873 (when new pattern uniforms based on the Prussian model were introduced). Having trawled through just under 250 Bavarian medical officers, both active and Landwehr in 1871, then this is Regimentsarzt 2, Classe Dr. Julius Stein (1822-1908)  of 6. Chevaulegers-Regiment Großfürst Constantin Nikolaiewitsch.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn, I have some doubts that it is a Bavarian Militär-Sanitäts-Ehrenzeichen, a

better scan from the medal would help.

Please compare the photo from Rick with the photo from Ritter von Lotzbeck.

56dc1553bd999_akLotzbeckRitterva.thumb.j

Regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

agreed, it does look a bit on the small side. The only other medical officer in this period with another medal and this combination is Dr. Carl Aurnhammer of 14. Infanterie-Regiment Hartmann. That is a Russian Crimean War Medal (RKM). Admittedly, 14. Infanterie-Regiment was in Nurnberg so that fits but the precedence is wrong? A better scan would help/

Best regards

Glenn

• 1 month later...
    On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:36, dedehansen said:

Hi Glenn, I have some doubts that it is a Bavarian Militär-Sanitäts-Ehrenzeichen, a

better scan from the medal would help.

Please compare the photo from Rick with the photo from Ritter von Lotzbeck.

ak Lotzbeck Ritter v a.jpg

Regards

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Do you think that might be a Denkzeichen für das Jahr1849?

Regards

Glenn

• 1 month later...
    • 6 months later...