News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 months later...
    • Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11.2.2016 at 06:43, Glenn J said:

Given that it is in fact a BMV3b in last position and that our subject is neither a medical officer nor wearing the uniform of a military official and that the photograph was in all probability taken in the 1870s, then the combination is not common at all. Again, if we exclude Zeugoffiziere (he appears to be wearing an infantry officers' uniform), the field really narrows down to one or two possibilities. At the moment, I tending towards Seconde-Lieutenant der Landwehr Karl Wenzelmann. My only reservation, is that I cannot tie him to Berlin.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn and all,

the studio was listed under this address from 1865-1871 and in 1873.

GreyC

On 11.2.2016 at 06:43, Glenn J said:

Given that it is in fact a BMV3b in last position and that our subject is neither a medical officer nor wearing the uniform of a military official and that the photograph was in all probability taken in the 1870s, then the combination is not common at all. Again, if we exclude Zeugoffiziere (he appears to be wearing an infantry officers' uniform), the field really narrows down to one or two possibilities. At the moment, I tending towards Seconde-Lieutenant der Landwehr Karl Wenzelmann. My only reservation, is that I cannot tie him to Berlin.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn and all,

the studio was listed under this address from 1865-1871 and in 1873.

GreyC

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 months later...
    On 11.2.2016 at 00:40, Stogieman said:

I know the second place medal is the 1864 NC Cross, but what are the other medals on this bar???

Can anyone help?

Here's photo 2, another new one. What is the second medal? Hohenzollern?

new1870pair1b.png

As stated before by Andreas this person is wearing  on the second position the Red Eagle Order Medal on the ribbon of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern. The medal was given with this ribbon only to the members of the Stabswache des Großen Hauptquartiers after the campaign against France in 1870/71 directly from the king on the 29th of April 1871. The Stabswache was formed by the beginning of the war from the personnel of the then dissolved Lehr-Infanterie-Bataillon.

There is no doubt, that this person is a medical officer in the rank of an Assistenzarzt, posing in Berlin for this photo before the Kriegsdenkmünze for this war was issued first in mid June 1871 on the victory parade in Berlin. Therefore the picture originate from May 1871 to the point he got his commemorative medal for this war some weeks or month later.

Before the personnel of the Lehr-Infanterie-Bataillons partly was used to built up the Stabswache, there was a Assistenzarzt Gustav Schweder detached to this unit. He got the Iron Cross 2nd class on the white ribbon and is listed for the war in the Sanitätsdetachement Nr. 3 of the Gardekorps. Every German Armeekorps had three of these Sanitätsdetachements, Nr. 3 was always responible for the service of the Commander. It is very likely, that Dr. Schweder was responsible for the medical supply of the Stabswache and therefore got the Red Eagle Order Medal on the ribbon of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern and ordered this picture back in Berlin in summer 1871.

Schweder Geschichte Lehr-Infanterie-Bataillon.jpg

Schweder Ordensliste 1877.jpg

Schweder Stammliste 1. Garderegiment zu Fuß 1.jpg

Schweder Stammliste 1. Garderegiment zu Fuß 2.jpg

Schweder Stammliste 1. Garderegiment zu Fuß 3.jpg

Schweder Stammliste 1. Garderegiment zu Fuß 4.jpg

Stammliste KWA.JPG

Edited by Komtur

• 6 months later...